New Delhi: The Security situation in Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed an improvement and the net infiltration from across the border has reduced by 43 per cent after a surgical strike was carried out on terror camps in Pakistan, Union Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai said in Lok Sabha on Tuesday.Rai’s remarks came in response to a written question on whether cross-border infiltration in Jammu and Kashmir has abated after the Indian Air Force carried out surgical strike on terror camps in Balakot in Pakistan in February this year. Also Read – IAF Day: Tributes paid to soldiers killed in line of duty in Jammu”Due to concerted and synergised efforts of security forces, the security situation in the state has witnessed an improvement in the first half of this year over the corresponding period of 2018. Net infiltration has reduced by 43 per cent,” he said. The minister said the central government has adopted a policy of zero tolerance towards cross-border infiltration. Rai said the government of India in tandem with the state government has adopted a multi-pronged approach to contain cross-border infiltration, which includes multi-tiered deployment along the International Border and the Line of Control (LoC), border fencing, improved intelligence and operational coordination, equipping security forces with improved technological weapons and taking pro-active action against infiltrators. Replying another question, the minister said the electric fence namely the Anti Infiltration Obstacle System (AIOS) on LoC along Indo-Pak border has proved to be a potent tool to guard against infiltration.
Expressing “grave concern” over the worsening humanitarian situation in Darfur, the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) until 8 October, while also expressing its intention to renew it further.The 15-member body voted unanimously on the move, which comes just two days after the African Union (AU) extended its mission in the strife-torn region until the end of this year. It also follows a recent warning from Secretary-General Kofi Annan that Darfur is heading towards disaster unless UN peacekeepers are allowed in.The current UNMIS mandate was set to expire on Sunday and today’s resolution also noted with “deep concern” restrictions placed on its movements and materiel, while further “reaffirming” the Council’s commitment to Sudan’s sovereignty, unity, independence, and territorial integrity, as well as to the cause of peace.In a speech to the General Assembly’s annual debate in New York on Tuesday, Sudanese President Omer al-Bashir rejected a proposed UN force as an attempt to re-colonize his country, criticizing last month’s Council resolution to deploy more than 17,000 peacekeepers in the region where UN officials warn that a man-made humanitarian catastrophe is looming.They estimate that over 400,000 people have already lost their lives and some 2 million more have been driven from their homes in three years of fighting in Darfur between the Sudanese Government, allied militias and rebel forces.
The figure, confirmed today at UN Headquarters in New York, came from the Sudanese Government and is based on statistics gathered over the past two weeks.In response to the additional needs, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) and its partners have already distributed one-month emergency food rations to 8,500 people. The Sudanese Red Crescent Society – supported by the World Health Organization (WHO) – has established two emergency health clinics in Rashad, a town in northeastern South Kordofan.In addition, the UN Children’s Agency (UNICEF) and WHO supported the South Kordofan health ministry with emergency medicine and equipment, including basic health kids to cover 10,000 people for three months, nutritional supplements and water and sanitation services.In Abyei, the Humanitarian Coordinator for Sudan, Ali Al-Za’tari, expressed his concern today about the increasing number of people from South Sudan seeking refuge in Abyei, an area contested by South Sudan and Sudan.Over the past few days, at least 3,000 people have arrived in Abyei, a UN spokesperson said. They are fleeing violence in South Sudan’s Unity state, bringing the total number of South Sudanese in the area to 6,000. Meanwhile, a peacekeeper from the African Union – UN Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) was freed today, 54 days after being taken into custody. Sergeant Awesu Soleiman was abducted in Nyala on 9 March. The Joint Special Representative for Darfur, Mohamed Ibn Chambas, expressed the Mission’s gratitude to the Government of Sudan, the Wali of South Darfur, and the Government of Nigeria “for their valuable assistance” in securing his safe release.