Grenfell Tower Twenty suicide attempts since blaze as victims suffer from survivor

first_imgMs Bolton suggested that “survivor guilt”, depression and feeling unable to cope with the loss of loved ones  was among multiple factors in why victims and witnesses were trying to take their own lives.How the tragedy that killed at least 80 people unfolded Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. At least 20 people who survived or witnessed the Grenfell Tower fire have since tried to kill themselves, according to a charity.A former nurse who is working with victims suggested that “survivor guilt” was among the factors for why victims of the west London blaze were attempting suicide.Yvette Greenway, founder of the Silence of Suicide support group, said the figure of 20 suicide bids was based on conversations with those helping residents.She told the BBC’s Victoria Derbyshire programme that many people affected by the fire, which claimed at least 80 lives in June, could not get images of the burning tower “out of their minds”.”There is a lot of alcohol and drug dependency,” she told the show. “People are feeling isolated.” Ms Greenway added: “There are going to be many more instances of PTSD [post-traumatic stress disorder], depression, anxiety and self-harming as people reach different stages of trauma.”Everybody will be affected at different times. We need long-term mental health provision for the next three decades at least – maybe longer.” Judy Bolton, a nurse for 20 years who now co-ordinates volunteers for Justice4Grenfell, said those she works with have also told her of 20 suicide attempts. That figure has not been independently verified. At least 80 people died when flames engulfed the 24-storey block, while hundreds more were left homeless.The disaster came against a backdrop of repeated fire safety concerns flagged by the tower’s residents.Both the council, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation are being investigated by the Metropolitan Police on potential corporate manslaughter charges. Cllr Kim Taylor-Smith, deputy leader of Kensington and Chelsea council, said: “The Grenfell Tower fire is a humanitarian crisis on a unique scale and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea has committed to supporting those affected by this tragedy.”There is a network of support available, including proactive work within the community and schools, a 24-hour NHS helpline and emotional support services provided by local community groups along with the Samaritans.“We would urge anyone who is experiencing trauma around the incident to contact the 24-hour NHS support line on 0800 0234 650. The helpline will talk to distressed people, or concerned family, friends or carers, at any time and provide clinical advice.”last_img read more

Update Well known drug addict accused of starting Kitty fire

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedUPDATE: Man stabs wife, burns home over claims of infidelityOctober 18, 2017In “Crime”Teacher among seven homeless in West Ruimveldt fireMarch 12, 2015In “Crime”Update: Prominent Berbice businessman dies in fire; neighbour’s house guttedMay 4, 2015In “Crime” By Carl CrokerFirefighters were seen soaking the ashes“I peep through de crease and see de whole downstairs red” was what a mother of four related after an early morning fire gutted their lot 11 Railway Line Street two story wooden building in Kitty just around 1:00hrs.The Fire which ripped through three buildings at the corners of Sandy Babb Street and Railway Line Street in Kitty leaves scores homeless and millions in losses. A motor vehicle that was parked on the road was also burnt completely.One of the victims of the tragic fire, Althea Solomon who was renting the upstairs of the Lot 11 building, where the fire presumably started, related to Inews that she was happy she was able to save herself along with her two children even though all of her material things went up in flames.Althea Solomon and her children“All the children school clothes and other materials were destroyed in the fire” she said, while noting that she had to act fast since the fire was raging just beneath her and it was just a matter of time before the flooring gave way.”Is the smoke we smell that was coming through the crease in the hole, duh wha we smell and we get up and when I peep through de crease de whole downstairs red. We couldn’t  do nothing else we went right over the fire, I just get up in time fo save me and ma four children” related Solomon.She alleged that the fire was started by a “well known drug addict named Kevin Larkish”- who was reportedly occupying the lower flat of the lot 11 building- after his mattress caught fire. “Instead he pull out the mattress or call out for some body, he just left everything and run up de road and gan he way” said the distraught mother of four. The owner of one of the other burnt out buildings at lot 10 railway Line Street in Kitty, Dr Rambaran said that the two story concrete and wood building was rented to two tenants. One was a nurse who was at work at the time and as such she did not get to save anything. Dr Rambaran taking a photo of the fire aftermathDr Rambaran disclosed that she received a called just around 1:30 this morning informing her that the house was on fire. “Myself, my husband and my father came and saw that the whole place was in flames” she said.She related that the owners of the burnt out car could not save it since they live in a back lot and were trapped in their homes as the heat extruding from the fire prevented them from coming out to move the vehicle.Another tenant said his dog perished in the blaze since he did not have enough time to untie the animal after saving his two children who were asleep. Fire fighters reportedly responded promptly, but they were unable to save any of the three buildings as they were severely restrained in their efforts due to the lack of adequate water to douse the flames.Residents said that if the fire service had water, the third building which housed the Sundeen beer garden could have been saved.The owner of the now gutted beer garden, which also housed her dwelling quarters noted that billions of dollars went up in flames for her. According to the elderly woman, it was approximately 02:00hrs this morning when her children woke her up and she noticed that the building was already engulfed in flames. The Sundeen beer gardenWhen Inews arrived on the scene around 9:00hrs, firefighters were seen soaking the ashes as residents and passersby looked on. No individual was seriously harmed.Efforts made to contact Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle, proved futile.The Kitty fire was the second to hit the “A” Division in a matter of hours as just yesterday afternoon, an Agricola family of five lost their home to a fire suspected to be electrical in origin. (Additional reporting by Ramona Luthi) read more