Berbice man gets 23 years for killing East Canje ‘bad man’

first_imgA former aspiring lawyer who has been found guilty of manslaughter committed in April 2016 was on Wednesday jailed for 23 years.Twenty-year-old Davenand Dhandhari of Lot 27 Betsy Ground, East Canje Berbice was found guilty by a mixed jury in the Berbice Assizes two weeks ago, but returned to court on Wednesday for sentencing. It has been legally established that Dhandhari unlawfully killed Omesh Seelall, called “Rovin” and “Short Neck”, also of Betsy Ground, in a wedding house brawl during April 2016. The 21-year-old Seelall was hit to the head with a piece of wood Dhandhari had removed from an animal cart.The youths had been among other persons when an argument ensued between them. The accused reportedly grabbed the wood and hit Seelall on the head, rendering him unconscious.Dhandhari told the court that Seelall was attacking him with a knife and he got hold of the wood to defend himself, and he lashed the now dead man to his head with it. Seelall, a labourer, sustained injuries to his head, resulting in his death six days after he was hit.Dhandhari was found guilty of manslaughter, and Justice Joann Barlow had ordered a probation report on him.Probation and Welfare Officer Maisie Sheppard, in presenting that report, told the court that an interview with Dhandhri’s father revealed that he is very remorseful and has regretted the loss of the life of someone with whom he had grown up.Sheppard also told the court that an interview with the deputy headteacher of one of the schools Dhandhari had attended revealed that during his tenure at the school, he was periodically disrespectful to most teachers, but yet adhered to all the school rules and instructions given to him by teachers.She also reported that during his incarceration he was involved in a fight in the New Amsterdam Prison.Sheppard said he experienced conflicts at school with both his teachers and peers because he was unable to control his anger during conflicts; and this had eventually led to his action and the subsequent offence of manslaughter.Defense Attorney Mursaline Bacchus explained that at the time of the offence his client was a student. In mitigating for leniency, Bacchus said no dangerous weapon had been used.Noting that Dhandhari wanted to attend University and become a lawyer, Bacchus asked the court to give him an opportunity to realise his dreams.However, Justice Joann Barlow pointed out that the wood which was used is just as lethal as a gun or cutlass if sufficient force is used.She said he seems to have difficulty maintaining his cool, and ordered that while in prison he be exposed to anger management sessions, as she handed down a 23-year sentence.last_img read more

Brother dies, sister critical in ECD accident

first_imgA quiet Thursday night became unsettled following a horrific fatal accident which involved two siblings near the Ogle Gas Station on the East Coast of Demerara. While details are sketchy, the parents of six-year-old Grahams Hall Primary School student Sunil Sukhnandan confirmed that their son lost his life in the fatality that occurred just before 18:00h.The parents of Sunil Sukhnandan on Thursday evening at their Ogle homeHis 17-year-old sister, Venesha Sukhnandan, was rushed to hospital in an unconscious state, and is said to be critical. Following the accident, persons began sharing on social media photos from the accident scene, which showed the siblings lying helplessly on the public road. Reports are that as the two children were crossing the road, a vehicle struck them head on. Public-spirited persons rushed the two seriously injured children to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC), where the boy was pronounced dead on arrival. His sister remains hospitalised, reportedly suffering from fractures to her neck and back.Her father, told Guyana Times that she has to undergo several scans before doctors can comprehend the full extent of her injuries. Meanwhile, the boy’s mother, Radika Narine, was overwhelmed with emotion at the realisation that she had lost her young son. The couple parented seven children at their ocean front home at Sea Dam, Ogle East Coast Demerara.The father said his son did not attend school on Thursday because of the rain. He added that at about 17:40h, he sent his daughter to purchase some items from a nearby shop, and her brother begged to go with her. The father said he permitted the boy to go, but never could have imagined that his children would encounter an accident.“I tell them be careful pon de road…when I get the message I was bathing, and when I tidy up and reach out on de road, them gone with them at the hospital,” the father recalled.The fisherman added that the family had lived in Industry, ECD before taking up residence at the small wooden shack they call home on the Ogle Sea Dam. His wife and daughter would sometimes assist him in selling shrimps. (Shemuel Fanfair)last_img read more

ANGER AS THIEVES GO ON BURGLARY CRIME SPREE IN DONEGAL

first_imgTHERE is widespread anger in east Donegal today after burglars went on a crime spree.Thieves targeted at least eight homes in the latest series of incidents in the Raphoe and Convoy areas – just days after a burglar punched a 96-year-old woman during a raid in Buncrana.Sgt Paul Wallace, the Co Donegal crime prevention officer, warned that the investigations are at an early stage, adding: “We may well be dealing with more than eight but that is what has been reported so far.” An English-registered Honda or Toyota car was seen in the area where the thefts took place.TVs, laptops and cash were taken in several of the raids.Thieves also posed as Donegal County Council workers in a number of the incidents.“We have a case where a man posing as a council worker spoke to a homeowner whilst another thief entered the property by a back door and stole goods that way. It is a classic case of a diversionary burglary,” said Sgt Wallace. The officer appealed for public help in preventing such crimes.“This took place just a few days after that dreadful crime in Buncrana and I would appeal to the public to be vigilant at all times,” he said.Sgt Wallace said members of the public should report any suspicious activity – especially in rural areas – to their nearest 24-hour Garda station.The thefts come as it was revealed today that Minister Alan Shatter has asked for 1,500 Gardai to be cut. ANGER AS THIEVES GO ON BURGLARY CRIME SPREE IN DONEGAL was last modified: January 8th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ANGER AS THIEVES GO ON BURGLARY CRIME SPREE IN DONEGALconvoyRaphoelast_img read more