“Victory for protection of sources” as court overturns contempt ruling against Ken Peters

first_img to go further November 11, 2020 Find out more CanadaAmericas “We must impose democratic obligations on the leading digital players” The Toronto appeal court yesterday overturned a 2004 “contempt of court” ruling against Ken Peters, of the daily Hamilton Spectator, for refusing to name a source. The organisation hopes that the decision will set a precedent for cases at federal level. Help by sharing this information Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” March 19, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Victory for protection of sources” as court overturns contempt ruling against Ken Peters Organisation November 19, 2020 Find out more News Receive email alertscenter_img Follow the news on Canada On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia News January 15, 2021 Find out more The Ontario appeal court ruling on the Peters case, comes shortly after a decision with the opposite effect handed down by the same court in February, forcing another Toronto daily, the National Post, to hand documents over to the court received from an anonymous source. A new measure in the federal criminal code, which came into force on 15 September 2004, obliges the press to hand over notes, documents, and sound or video recordings which could help resolve a criminal investigation. Protection of sources suffered another setback, this time at the federal level in Montreal on 18 January, when Joël-Denis Bellavance and Gilles Toupin, of the French-language daily La Presse, were ordered to reveal the name of an informant at the request of a person accused of “terrorism” (see release of 21 January 2008). CanadaAmericas RSF_en News Reporters Without Borders today hailed a court ruling overturning a 2004 “contempt of court” verdict against journalist Ken Peters, of the daily Hamilton Spectator, for refusing to reveal his source for articles he wrote on alleged abuses at a retirement home.The Ontario appeal court yesterday quashed the contempt conviction against the journalist who had escaped prison but had been ordered to pay 31,600 dollars in legal costs. This financial penalty was also overturned.“We hail the Ontario appeal court decision, which marks a victory for the protection of sources, the cornerstone of the journalist’s profession”, the worldwide press freedom organisation said.Peters, a municipal affairs reporter in the Hamilton suburb of Toronto, was passed documents in 1995 which alleged serious problems at the St Elizabeth Home Society. After he wrote a series of articles, the retirement home sued for defamation against the Hamilton-Wensworth region, the Hamilton municipality and its former mayor. After a long-running legal battle, Judge David Crane, of the Hamilton court, ordered Peters to reveal the name of the person who had given him the documents. Peters refused to comply with the judge’s order, but the man in question – former city alderman, Henry Merling – identified himself as the source. The journalist therefore avoided criminal prosecution and a possible jail sentence.But a civil court, on 1st December 2004, convicted Peters of “contempt of court” and ordered him to pay court costs of 31,600 dollars. “Ken Peters’ conviction in the lower court was not only dangerous in principle, but also absurd since the source had already revealed himself”, Reporters Without Borders said. “We hope that this judicial outcome will create jurisprudence and be taken up at the federal level. Other Canadian journalists are currently facing proceedings for the same reason as Ken Peters”, the organisation added. Newslast_img read more

Al-Jazira barred from covering the Hajj rites in Mecca

first_img to go further Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Organisation RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance In a letter sent to the Saudi Consultative Council (Majlis Al-Shoura) Reporters Without Borders deplored that the Qatar-based satellite channel, Al-Jazira, was barred from covering the hajj. “As the guardian of the holy Islamic places, the Saudi authorities must show their open-mindedness and accredit, without discrimination, all channels wishing to retransmit video footage of the religious celebrations”, wrote Robert Ménard.The organisation also called for Al-Jazira journalists to be authorized to cover the Gulf Cooperation Council’s (GCC) defence and foreign ministers summit to be held on 15 February 2003 in Jeddah (Saudi Arabia). “We applied for visas for our nine-member crew three months ago because we knew that there was a big chance that we would not get the OK”, said Ibrahim Hilal, Al-Jazira’s chief editor. A Saudi official confirmed, under cover of anonymity, that the visa applications had been received and denied.Relations between Saudi Arabia and Qatar have been stormy since Al-Jazira broadcast in June 2002 a programme the Saudi kingdom deemed insulting to the royal family. This quarrel between the Qatari channel and the Saudi authorities turned into a diplomatic crisis in September 2002 when Saudi Arabia recalled its ambassador to Qatar and demanded official excuses from the Qatari government. Although Al-Jazira has never had a bureau or a permanent correspondent in Saudi Arabia, it was authorised to cover the pilgrimage for three years till now. Many channels such as the American CNN, Saudi MBC and Emirati Abu Dhabi TV were, on the other hand, allowed to broadcast live from Mecca the various stages of the pilgrimage which began on 5 February and finished today, the third day of the Muslim Eid celebrations. News Receive email alerts Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa News April 28, 2021 Find out morecenter_img NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Follow the news on Saudi Arabia March 9, 2021 Find out more June 8, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en News February 13, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Al-Jazira barred from covering the Hajj rites in Mecca Newslast_img read more

Vital intervention needed to address food poverty

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin More than 1,000 children looked for help from Limerick homeless agency WhatsApp THERE are more than 70 families homeless in Limerick with the number continuing to rise, according to voluntary agency Novas.And they also maintain that many more are hidden homeless or at risk, with many of these families living in emergency B&B accommodation with no cooking facilities.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Novas, who are the largest provider of homeless services in the Mid-West, point out that the traumas of being homeless are multi-faceted and enduring. Head of Policy and Communications with the voluntary service provider, Una Burns explained that for those living in commercial B&Bs, access to basic nutritious food is a challenge.“Families often rely on takeaway food for weeks and months on end. It is eaten on laps, sitting on beds, in one room. Parents report that their children are putting on weight, they lack concentration in school and their physical wellbeing is being compromised.“Due to the expensive nature of this food provision, families are finding it impossible to save for the expense of moving to a long-term home, thus protracting the length of time they are homeless,” Ms Burns told the Limerick Post.However, there is an alternative, she insists.Novas has arranged for families to have a nutritious and hearty meal in a community café in Our Lady of Lourdes each evening. A family has the opportunity to eat good food, sitting around a table together. It allows a family a break away from one room, in which they play out their lives. It is one less thing to worry about.Ms Burns describes the initiative as a “vital intervention” to support families who are experiencing homelessness.“It helps to bring some normality to an extraordinarily difficult time for families and affords families the opportunity to save in preparation of a move to more permanent accommodation, a home of their own. Some 80 per cent of families are homeless due to economic factors. This is one burden we can help with. However, we need the support of the public to do this,”An evening meal in the community café costs €4 per child and €4.50 per adult. Text NOVAS to 50300 to donate €4. Alternatively, you can log onto www.novas.ie/donate/ to donate more. You can also set up a monthly direct debit to support Novas on an ongoing basis. A monthly direct debit of €28 will provide a hearty meal for a child for a week. NewsHousingVital intervention needed to address food povertyBy Alan Jacques – May 29, 2018 1176 Homeless children living in hotels have difficulty chewing and swallowing Getting a second chance at life Print Facebookcenter_img Previous article2 Limerick primary schools amongst finalists for Eco Ranger awardsNext articleWinners of HOMS Solicitors Company Challenge presented with their trophies Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR 163 children homeless in Limerick and Clare as Christmas approaches Twitter Politicians should work together to end homeless crisis Email Limerick’s Will O’Donoghue to take part in Novas Christmas Sleep-Out TAGSfamilyhomelesshomelessnessNovasNovas Initiativesnutrition last_img read more

Citizenship question would taint census

first_imgCombined with President Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric, asking about citizenship status will depress the count among immigrant communities and result in inaccurate information.In a memo explaining his reasoning, Ross admitted that adding the question could depress census participation.But he argued that asking about citizenship would impose a “limited burden” on those filling out census forms, because individual responses are anonymous.Placing the burden of proof on those objecting to the change, Ross said that “no one provided evidence that reinstating a citizenship question on the decennial census would materially decrease response rates.”But it is Ross’ responsibility to oversee a fair census. There is enough evidence, anecdotal and statistical, for serious worry about the citizenship question.Census researchers have recently noted instances of heightened concern among immigrant respondents about cooperating with the count.Immigrant response rates to the yearly American Community Survey, which asks about citizenship, are lower than nonimmigrant response rates. Even without a citizenship question, the 2010 Census overcounted the non-Hispanic population and undercounted the Hispanic population. Morever, an absence of evidence would not be proof of no harm.It was Ross’ duty to show that the harm would be acceptably limited before adding a new question. By his own admission, he failed to do so.New census forms should be and generally are thoroughly tested before rollout, a process that takes years.This question is being added hastily to the form in the midst of its first and only dry run for the 2020 count.If immigrant communities are substantially undercounted, Democrats will lose seats in Congress and in statehouses.Political districts contain equal numbers of people, citizen and noncitizen alike.Nonvoters, of course, cannot choose who represents them in Washington or in state capitals. Categories: Editorial, OpinionThe following editorial appeared in The Washington Post.The census Bureau’s once-a-decade count of the country’s population determines where federal money goes and how political power is divided among states.Whether by design or incompetence, the Trump administration is threatening to rig the count against Democrats.Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who decides what the government asks in its authoritative decennial count, announced Monday that the Census Bureau will ask respondents to report their citizenship status on the form that goes out to all U.S. households.The census is supposed to take an accurate picture of the entire country, not just of residents born or naturalized here.center_img But minors, green-card holders and other nonvoters still count.Political representation has been apportioned according to this principle since the country’s founding.If the count is off in the urban centers where immigrants congregate, blue states will lose representation and rural areas will gain political clout even more disproportionate to the number of people who actually live in them.The state of California immediately announced a lawsuit challenging Ross’ decision.But Congress also could act.Lawmakers should prevent the Trump administration from fouling the census.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristslast_img read more