Lamont Open 24/7 for Reading Period and Exams

first_imgDuring reading period and final exams, Lamont Library will remain open 24/7 as part of a pilot to explore longer permanent hours for the library at this time each semester, Harvard College Dean Evelynn M. Hammonds and Interim Head of Harvard College Library Susan Fliss announced today. Read Full Storylast_img

Tracking COVID-19 at Notre Dame

first_imgSince classes began Aug. 10, the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise among Notre Dame community members.The Observer will update this page daily with new numbers from the University’s HERE Dashboard. These numbers are based only on tests conducted by University Health Services and the Wellness Center.This post was updated Nov. 12 at 12:18 p.m.Serena Zacharias | The Observer Notre Dame administered 377 nasal swabs and 310 saliva tests Wednesday. These testing numbers stand in a sharp decline in comparison to previous weeks.The seven-day positivity rate is 6.0%. The University has administered 10,381 diagnostic tests and 61,031 surveillance tests since Aug. 3. The estimated active number of cases is 270, and the estimated number of recovered cases is 1,209 as of Thursday. The seven-day moving average was 25.4 cases as of Thursday.After a surge in cases Aug. 17, University President Fr. John Jenkins announced the move to online classes until Sept. 2 to attempt to curb the spread. Classes resumed in a phased return Sept. 2, as cases have decreased.On Oct. 15, the Office of Student Affairs announced gatherings would be limited to 10 people following a significant increase in cases. The limit was previously 20 people as of Oct. 1.Pre-matriculation testing resulted in 33 positive cases out of 11,836 tests yielded. Notre Dame reported the first positive case on campus Aug. 6. The University linked an increase in cases to an off-campus gathering Aug. 13.All data on the dashboard is subject to change. PCR tests, which take 1-2 days to result, may lead to an increase in the number of cases on a specific day a few days later.Find our latest COVID-19 coverage here.Tags: cases, community members, COVID-19 updates, health, safetylast_img read more

Nastase not welcome at Wimbledon this year, say organisers

first_imgBy Martyn HermanLONDON, England (Reuters) – Former Romanian tennis player Ilie Nastase will not be welcomed at this year’s Wimbledon championships and could be stopped at the gate if he tries to attend, organisers said yesterday.The 70-year-old former French and U.S. Open champion is provisionally banned from all International Tennis Federation (ITF) events after hurling allegedly racist and sexist comments during Romania’s Fed Cup tie with Britain last month.All England Club chairman Philip Brook said he “condemned” the behaviour of two-time Wimbledon runner-up Nastase.“In terms of an invitation to the Royal Box, he won’t receive one this year,” Brook said at the club’s spring news conference.Club chief executive Richard Lewis went further, saying Nastase “could be stopped at the gate” if he tried to enter the grounds with a ticket.Romanian Fed Cup captain Nastase, who courted controversy throughout his career, was booted out of his country’s tie with Britain for “unsportsmanlike” behaviour.The singles rubber between Britain’s Johanna Konta and Sorana Cirstea was briefly suspended after remarks made by Nastase to Konta and Britain’s captain Anne Keothavong.Nastase had already run into trouble during the World Group II playoff tie in Constanta, after allegedly making a derogatory comment about American great Serena Williams’ unborn child.last_img read more