Ocean City Housing Project May Encounter COVID-Related Delay

first_imgBy DONALD WITTKOWSKICompletion of the Ocean City Housing Authority’s nearly $7 million affordable housing project for senior citizens may be delayed by about a month because of “one hiccup” blamed on the COVID-19 pandemic.The company that will install the elevators in the three-story building has indicated that the pandemic is slowing down production at its factory and that could cause a delay with its work in Ocean City, the housing authority reported at its monthly board meeting Tuesday.“The one hiccup that we’ve run across, which is not surprising, is the elevator company,” said board member Scott Halliday, who serves as vice chairman of the housing authority and heads its redevelopment committee.Schindler Elevator Corp. was originally supposed to begin working at the site in late February or early March, but now says it may not start until late April due to COVID-related delays, Halliday said.The authority has been targeting May 1 as the $6.9 million project’s completion date, but a delay with the elevator work may push it back to early June, Halliday said. However, the authority has not yet given up on having it finished by May, he pointed out.“We’re still pushing for the May completion date. We’re trying to tighten that up as much as possible,” he told the board members during a Zoom meeting.Called Speitel Commons, the 32-unit project is being built next to the authority’s Bayview Manor housing complex at Sixth Street and West Avenue. The building is named in honor of the late Edmond C. Speitel Sr., a housing authority commissioner who helped to oversee the project from the conceptual phase.Senior citizens who now live in the authority’s flood-prone Pecks Beach Village housing complex on Fourth Street will be moved over to the Speitel Commons building when it is completed.While updating the board on the progress of the project, Halliday said all other construction work is rolling along smoothly under the supervision of the general contractor, Gary F. Gardner Inc. of Medford, N.J.“The contractor is doing a very good job staying on schedule,” he said.He added, “All other components of the project are moving along nicely.”Construction crews perform work on the building’s exterior.So far, the housing authority and the contractors have worked together to reduce the overall cost of the project by nearly $62,000.Not wanting to fall behind, the authority plans to have its team of consultants or the general contractor negotiate with the Schindler elevator company to try to avoid any delays.“We’ve given our team encouragement to go forward with negotiations with them as hard as possible or to get the contractor to negotiate as hard as possible,” Halliday said.In his full-time profession, Halliday is a home builder and general contractor, giving him expertise in the construction industry.Halliday stressed that it will be important to stay on top of the elevator company to avoid construction delays if possible.“They’re blaming COVID. I just think we need to stay on them to perform,” Halliday said in an interview after the board meeting.City Council President Bob Barr, who serves as the housing authority’s chairman, said that he has “some” concerns about the project being slightly delayed.“But hopefully we can work with them on that,” Barr said of negotiations with Schindler to try to keep the elevator work on schedule.The senior citizens portion of Pecks Beach Village, located on the north side of Fourth Street, will be torn down when Speitel Commons is finished. The housing authority has set aside $200,000 for demolition work on the flood-prone site.Pecks Beach Village also includes affordable housing for low-income families. The 40 family units are located on the south side of Fourth Street. The family units will stay for the time being, although there are longer-range plans to replace them with new housing construction.Funding for the project is coming from the city and the New Jersey Housing Mortgage and Finance Agency.In 2019, City Council approved a $6.6 million bond ordinance to build or rehabilitate affordable housing sites for senior citizens and low-income families. The projects will help Ocean City meet its state-mandated obligation to provide its “fair share” of affordable housing as part of a court settlement in 2018.The city is expected to contribute more than $2 million toward the Speitel Commons project, while the New Jersey Housing Mortgage and Finance Agency is providing $4.5 million in funding.The Ocean City Housing Authority provides affordable housing for senior citizens, families and the disabled. Ocean City residents, the elderly and people with disabilities are given preference for the authority’s housing.At Tuesday’s meeting, the board approved a change in the authority’s occupancy and admissions policies that will add military veterans to the group of people given preference on the waiting list for housing.“It just gives them an extra leg up on the waiting list,” said Jacqueline Jones, the authority’s executive director.However, there are currently no openings on the waiting list, so the authority is not accepting applications from veterans at this time, Barr said. The authority anticipates that there will be openings later in the year, he added.Also at the meeting, the board approved a $10,000 bonus to Jones and her staff to recognize their work in overseeing the authority’s development projects as well as the agency’s financial turnaround.The agency was reeling from shaky finances after an embezzlement scandal in 2017 involving its former executive director. After Jones took over as the new executive director, the authority became debt free and profitable. Jones and her staff also put the authority in position to launch the Speitel Commons project.The $10,000 bonus calls for Jones to receive $5,000 and her staff $5,000. Barr and Halliday, as the senior members of the board, recommended the bonus.“This is kudos to Jackie and her team. We thank them for all they do,” Barr said.Halliday said the bonus acknowledges the “extraordinary work” Jones and her staff have done on the authority’s development projects.On behalf of her staff, Jones thanked the board members and expressed her appreciation for the bonus. The Ocean City Housing Authority’s new building for senior citizens overlooks West Avenue at the corner of Sixth Street.last_img read more

Stephen Colbert Nerds Out On ‘Lord Of The Rings’ While Analyzing Chance The Rapper’s ‘Favorite Song’ [Watch]

first_img[Video: Rolling Stone] As part of Rolling Stone‘s “Song Breakdown” series, the media outlet has released a brand-new video featuring comedian and The Late Show host Stephen Colbert. In this new video, Colbert analyzes Chance The Rapper‘s “Favorite Song” featuring Childish Gambino, which was released back in 2013 on Chance’s sophomore mixtape, Acid Rap, which was given away for free and helped catapult him into stardom. In the video, Colbert breaks down a verse of the song, analyzing the rhythm pattern of one of the verses and drawing on unexpected references to the Victorian-era playwright duo, Gilbert and Sullivan as well as the iconic fantasy series, Lord Of The Rings.After singing some of the lyrics from memory (starting off with “Bang bang bang, skeet skeet skeet/She do that thing for three re-tweets”), Colbert first notes that “that rhythm right there, that was just like a worm in my brain. I couldn’t stop listening to that song, and it’s something about the rhythm of that second verse, which repeats again two verses later.” He continues, “I didn’t know what it was until I was like, ‘Oh wait, that’s Gilbert and Sullivan’s rhythm,’” moving on to show how both mirror one another.Talking about the relative rarity of the rhyme scheme used “because it’s got a lot of internal rhymes within the line,” Colbert adds “The only other place I know besides ‘My Favorite Song’ and Gilbert and Sullivan, habitually, is—and this is because I link everything back to J.R.R. Tolkein—it’s actually from the ‘Song of Eärendil’.” With Colbert diving on his apparently encyclopedic knowledge of Lord Of The Rings, the famed comedian offers context on the little-known poem that influences Tolkein’s Middle Earth universe.You can watch Stephen Colbert’s song breakdown of Chance The Rapper’s “Favorite Song” featuring Childish Gambino for Rolling Stone below.last_img read more

The ULTRA Europe Festival will remain in Croatia until 2022

first_imgOfficially, the ULTRA Europe festival will remain in Croatia until 2022.Another exclusive information was announced at the official press conference. Croatian football club Hajduk and the festival organizers have signed a sponsorship agreement, so ULTRA Europe is the only festival in the world that directly supports the work and development of a professional football club.The festival had its premiere edition in 2013, and the organizers can boast of impressive results in just five years. Split and Croatia have become unavoidable news of all world media, and according to data and results on economic and tourist traffic and the number of visitors, the ULTRA Europe festival bears the epithet of the largest international event in Croatian history. More than 150 thousand visitors from over 140 countries are a fact that few events in the world can boast of, and that the celebratory fifth edition is just an introduction to a new chapter in the entertainment and tourism industry, confirmed Joe Basic, CEO of MPG Live. license holder and festival organizer.”I am proud and happy that I can finally confirm that the ULTRA Europe festival will remain in Croatia for at least another five years! This is a result that we would not be able to achieve without the unconditional support of the Government of the Republic of Croatia, city authorities and the tourism sector, and I am sure that successful cooperation will continue in the coming years. Our expectations and goals are very clear – with the unique concept of the destination festival to become the most important summer event and the largest festival in Europe with more than 180 thousand visitors, “Said Joe Basic, who also commented on the highest security measures that visitors expect at the stadium:”The safety of our guests is extremely important to us, so we, in cooperation with local institutions and the police, have taken all measures to ensure that everything is at the highest possible level and in accordance with our high standards.. “The organizers emphasized that with additional planned investments and investments, the festival has the potential to encourage as much as one billion kuna of additional spending per year, and that by promoting numerous domestic destinations and festival locations, the goal is to keep guests in Croatia for ten days. The importance and impact of such events for positioning Croatia as an attractive destination for tourists from all over the world is extremely important. “Large events such as ULTRA Europe, in addition to being an additional motive for the arrival of tourists, create additional value to the existing tourist offer and have great promotional value for Croatian tourism because guests who visit such world-famous attractions come from many countries around the world. The extent to which such festivals, in addition to connecting with existing and creating new additional content, contribute to the development of Croatian tourism, can be seen in the fact that some destinations have achieved exceptional growth and become even more recognizable and popular destinations in Europe and around the world. I believe that the festival will again make a great contribution to Split and the entire Split-Dalmatia County, because not only will the accommodation capacity be fully filled, but will also contribute to all other service activities.”, Said the Minister of Tourism Gary Capelli.Aljoša Bašić, marketing director of HNK Hajduk, confirmed that the ULTRA Europe festival remains where it belongs, at the most beautiful Croatian stadium in Poljud, and announced to the public the unique cooperation between the organizers and the Split club: “It is my pleasure to announce that the logo of the ULTRA Europe festival will be on the Hajduk jersey from this year. Our sleeve will be adorned with a great world brand and I am glad that we have made this step forward which means even better cooperation with the festival organizers”, Said Aljoša Bašić, marketing director of HNK Hajduk after the official signing of the contract. Namely, the ULTRA Europe festival signed a sponsorship agreement with Hajduk and thus became the first music festival in the world to support the work of a professional football club.Also, the University of Split, headed by the Rector prof. dr. sc. Šimun Anđelinović, initiated a research that will be conducted by students of the University in cooperation with the organizers, and which will show the positive economic effects on the city and the entire Split-Dalmatia County. Joško Stella, director of the Split-Dalmatia County Tourist Board, confirmed that events such as ULTRA Europe, in addition to great promotional value, greatly contribute to creating a new and different image of our tourism and give additional value to the existing tourist offer, while Alijana Vukšić, director of the Split Tourist Board , pointed out that in addition to the festival, visitors will enjoy the natural beauty and numerous cultural, sports and entertainment facilities offered by Split and the whole of Dalmatia, and she is sure that Split will be a good host of this great musical event this year as well.last_img read more

Syracuse-Marquette: The matchups, numbers and what to watch for in the Elite Eight Big East duel

first_imgBig number24Points scored by point guard Michael Carter-Williams in Syracuse’s 61-50 win over Indiana, a career high.Free throwSyracuse forward James Southerland’s sister, Sabrina, was named 2013 Girls Athlete of the Year by the Armory Track and Field Center on Thursday.These two teams last met in the NCAA Tournament in 2011 when the Big East had 11 schools selected, forcing a second-round matchup between the No. 3-seed Orange and the No. 11-seed Golden Eagles.The MatchupsStats in 2013 postseason playAdvertisementThis is placeholder textPoint guardMichael Carter-Williams6-6 185 So.10.1 ppg 6.7 apgJunior Cadougan6-1 205 Sr.8.8 ppg 1.0 apgCarter-Williams is as hot as he’s ever been while Cadougan’s tapered off in terms of raw production since the postseason’s started. If the Syracuse point guard shows the same range he did last game, the Orange becomes nearly impossible to defend.Shooting guardBrandon Triche6-4 210 Sr.13.4 ppg 2.9 apgVander Blue6-4 200 Jr.17.8 ppg 1.3 apgUnlike Jordan Hulls, Blue can matchup physically with Triche. That doesn’t mean Triche should stop driving, though. When he does, SU’s offense transforms from predictable pass-and-shoot to a dynamic maze of slashes, dumps and kicks.Small forwardJames Southerland6-8 215 Sr.12.9 ppg 5.5 rpgTrent Lockett6-5 210 Sr.7.0 ppg 8.5 rpgSoutherland’s quiet showing against the Hoosiers hints he’s due to drop a few 3s on Marquette. Ability to stretch the opposing defense aside, this matchup is most crucial on the boards where Southerland is severely underrated.Power forwardC.J. Fair6-8 215 Jr.14.0 ppg 6.4 rpgJuan Anderson6-6 210 So.0.5 ppg 1.8 rpgAnderson’s likely to give way to Jamil Wilson as he only played six minutes against Miami in the Sweet 16. The struggle for either player will be to keep track of Fair around the lane and limit his deadly mid-range jumper.CenterRakeem Christmas6-9 242 So.2.8 ppg 2.6 rpgChris Otule6-11 275 R-Sr.7.0 ppg, 5.3 rpgWhile Otule plays more significant minutes than Christmas, the real center battle will be fought by Baye Moussa Keita and Davante Gardner where Keita, and Christmas, will be tested by an even stronger physical presence than Indiana’s Cody Zeller.CoachesJim Boeheim919-31337 seasonsBuzz Williams136-706 seasonsThe two coaches are no strangers and the Orange zone will surprise no one. Both teams roll about eight-deep. Boeheim’s biggest game planning will have been done on shutting down Davante Gardner and Williams will push his player to hit the defensive glass and keep SU out of the transition play it revels in. Comments Published on March 30, 2013 at 12:48 am Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Former IAAF president Lamine Diack investigated in doping cover-up probe

first_imgFormer IAAF president Lamine Diack is being investigated in relation to allegations that he helped to cover up doping cases.The 82-year-old is suspected of taking money from Russia to sweep over positive drugs tests.His advisor, Habib Cisse, is also being investigated.Sebastian Coe succeeded the Senegalese as IAAF president in August, bringing an end to Diack’s 16-year reign.A statement from the IAAF confirmed that French police visited their offices on Tuesday to conduct interviews.”The IAAF confirms that, emanating from separate ongoing investigations by WADA’s independent commission and the IAAF’s own independent Ethics Commission into allegations surrounding its anti-doping rules and regulations, a French police investigation has now commenced,” a statement read. “The IAAF is fully cooperating with all investigations as it has been from the beginning of the process.”As part of the French investigation, police visited the IAAF HQ offices yesterday to carry out interviews and to access documentation.”The IAAF will make no further comment at this time.”–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

NBA trade rumors: Pacers would need ‘incredibly significant offer’ to move Myles Turner

first_img“We added a lot of fire power offensively, but we always wanted a team on a good timeline,” Indiana president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard told reporters in early July. “We feel we have a young team, a very vibrant up-and-coming team that’s willing to get better. We like guys who love the game. You can always tell when guys love the game, they have these incremental improvements every year.”Pacers star Victor Oladipo ruptured his quad in late January and missed the rest of the season. He’s expected to be sidelined to start 2019-20. Pacers’ Darren Collison announces retirement Lakers free agency rumors: Los Angeles has attended workouts of Lance Stephenson, Marreese Speights Indiana is currently planning to start both Turner and Sabonis in the frontcourt next season, coach Nate McMillan said earlier this month.The Pacers finished 2018-19 with a 48-34 record and were swept by the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs. They revamped their backcourt this summer by acquiring Malcolm Brogdon in a sign-and-trade with the Bucks and inking Jeremy Lamb to a three-year, $31.5 million contract.Indiana acquired wing TJ Warren in a deal with the Suns, as well. Victor Oladipo could be out until 2020, Pacers president says Turner averaged 13.3 points and 7.2 rebounds in 74 appearances last season. He also shot a career-best 38.8% from 3-point range and recorded a league-high 2.7 blocks per game.The Pacers originally selected Turner out of Texas with the No. 11 pick in the 2015 draft. He signed a four-year, $72 million extension with the team in October 2018, but could become expandable at some point, as Indiana also has forward Domantas Sabonis, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal. Related News The Pacers seem like they’ll have plenty of options if they decide to move Myles Turner.Indiana received inquiries about a potential deal for the 23-year-old forward before and after the draft, according to a report from SNY, which cites unidentified league sources. Multiple teams, however, “came away with the impression that it would take an incredibly significant offer to land him,” the report says.last_img read more