Wild child! Miranda Lambert set the 2020 Country Music Association Awards stage on fire with her first live performance of “Settling Down” on Wednesday, November 11.Lambert, 37, opted for a stripped down version of her hit single, captivating the audience with her acoustic rendition of the track.- Advertisement – “I was terrified to get on that stage. It was the year it was at Madison Square Garden. Not only was it my first time in New York City, but it was the CMAs,” the Texas native said in a CMAs video posted last month, reflecting on the big moment. “I had a million things going through my mind. Now, I definitely know the feel of butterflies was because I cared so much. I felt like a lot was riding on that performance. It was sort of my first time to say, ‘Hey, here’s who I am as an artist.’”Lambert’s Wednesday performance came weeks after the release of her music video for “Settling Down,” in which her husband, Brendan McLoughlin, made a cameo — and his music video debut.“I think we understand why we had him in my video,” the songstress told her fans during a live Q&A on YouTube in October, after the clip for her new song was released. “Because he’s really pretty and I needed a video babe and he was there, so I mean, it just worked out.”The Grammy winner added: “My favorite part of filming was watching my husband sort of come to life on camera. It was his video debut and he’s so sweet and humble about it, but he really killed it, so that was fun to watch.”Lambert and McLoughlin, 30, tied the knot in January 2019. The pair met two months prior on the set of Good Morning America where the former NYPD officer was working security.The country singer was married to Blake Shelton from 2011 to 2015. He announced his engagement to Gwen Stefani late last month.Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories! Ahead of the show, Lambert won Music Video of the Year for “Bluebird.”Country music’s biggest night was the first awards show of the year to be done with a real audience and to have celebrities in attendance amid the coronavirus pandemic. All others have been done virtually or without fans.Lambert, who had 13 CMA award wins heading into the night, first appeared on the iconic awards show stage 15 years ago with her 2005 performance of “Kerosene.”- Advertisement – – Advertisement – The “Vice” singer was the top nominee at the 54th annual awards show, which took place live in Nashville.Lambert received seven nods, including Best Female Vocalist, Entertainer of the Year, Album of the Year (Wildcard), Single of the Year and Song of the Year for “Bluebird.”Nominations for Musical Event of the Year and Music Video of the Year brought her career total to 51 nods, making her the most nominated female artist in the awards show’s history. The “House That Built Me” singer is the fourth highest-nominated artist of all time, behind George Strait, Alan Jackson and Brad Paisley.Miranda Lambert Mark J Terrill/AP/Shutterstock- Advertisement –
But many Russian voices expressed the opposite view, calling the decision a politicized one.The head of Russia’s curling federation, Dmitry Svishchev, asserted: “I am profoundly convinced that it was made under pressure. Someone needed Russia not to participate in the Games.”I have a third view. The IOC decision was tragic but necessary.“Russia,” however, should neither be blamed nor defended.Instead, the Russian government must be assigned full responsibility for this tragedy, both by foreign governments and athletes but also by Russian society.Russian President Vladimir Putin’s friend, Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko, oversaw this industrial cheating scheme.That’s why the IOC banned Mutko from all future Olympic competitions. Gold medal winners will not get to hear the Russian national anthem, all because of Putin’s decision to cheat.The other losers are fans around the world, including me, who wanted to see these Russian athletes compete in Pyeongchang not as “Olympic athletes from Russia” but as fierce, proud, and patriotic members of the Russian national team.International and Russian fans who wanted to see the Russians compete in the Winter Games next year must blame Putin for this tragedy, not all of Russia and most certainly not all Russian athletes.And Russian citizens must stop blaming foreigners for this sad outcome as well and start beginning to hold their own government accountable.It’s time for Russians to start pressing Putin and his government to make different decisions. Russian athletes, and fans around the world of the Winter Games, deserve better.Michael McFaul is director of the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies and a fellow at Stanford University.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidation Another close Putin confidant and president of Russia’s Olympic Committee, Alexander Zhukov, was suspended as an IOC member.Make no mistake: Mutko and Zhukov were not some rogue actors, acting independently from Putin or the Russian government.They were his lieutenants.In Putin’s government today, there are no independent actors.Obviously, the IOC had no interest in banning one of the powerhouses in winter sports from the Games. Putin compelled them to make this decision.In assigning blame to the Kremlin, the international community as well as Russian society also should recognize that the biggest victims of the Russian government’s decisions are the clean Russian athletes who played by the Olympic rules.Putin has said Russia would not prevent its athletes from competing as neutrals, but that means they will be denied the proud moment of watching the Russian flag ascend during the medals ceremony — what should be the highlight of their athletic careers. Categories: Editorial, OpinionLast week, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) announced a shocking decision to ban Russia from the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, due to Russia’s “systematic manipulation of the anti-doping rules.”The public reaction to this decision — by government officials and public commentators, and on my Twitter feed — was very polarized.Most around the world rejoiced. “Russia” got what it deserved, so many explained.
A Met Police spokesperson said: “Police are investigating after a banana was thrown on to the pitch from the away section of supporters during the Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal match at White Hart Lane on Sunday March 3rd. There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue to try to identify the suspect.” Arsenal and Spurs both warned before the match no anti-social behaviour would be tolerated at what is one of the most heated fixtures in the English football calendar. Arsenal say they operate a zero-tolerance policy towards any such act, and will therefore ban anyone who is found guilty of throwing the banana. Another point of controversy in Sunday’s game came when Emmanuel Adebayor was briefly taunted about the deadly gun attack he survived in Angola. Meanwhile, Tottenham captain Michael Dawson thinks there is no better player in the world right now than Bale, who scored his 49th goal for the club against the Gunners. The strike was his 20th of a fine season, which has seen him compared to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. Some critics, including Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, claim Bale is not in the same class as Ronaldo, who has scored 33 goals for Madrid this season, and three-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi, but Dawson disagrees. “Gaz is up there with Ronaldo and Messi in terms of ability – he’s one of the best players in the world at the moment, and probably the best in the world for me right now,” Dawson said in a promotional interview for Topman. “Some of the things he does would have Ronaldo blush. His goal this season against Norwich where he picked the ball up in his own half and dribbled past all those players before having the calm and composure to put in the bottom corner… He’s been brilliant and credit to him.” Arsenal have vowed to ban for life the fan who threw a banana at Gareth Bale on Sunday. Police confirmed on Monday that they had launched an investigation after an Arsenal supporter threw a banana at Bale as he went to take a corner in the 27th minute of Sunday’s north London derby at White Hart Lane, which Tottenham won 2-1. The Police are examining CCTV footage to see if they can identify the person who aimed the fruit at the Tottenham star. Spurs have also agreed to help the police with their enquiries. Bale is sometimes targeted by opposing fans, who often chant that the player “looks like a chimp”. Press Association