New legal status proposed for Iowa lemonade stands

first_imgDES MOINES — A few kids who’ve operated lemonade stands in Iowa have had a sour experience — with the law. Representative Ray “Bubba” Sorenson of Greenfield says that’s because the iconic child-run lemonade stand is technically illegal in Iowa.“This bill looks to right that wrong,” Sorenson says, “so we don’t continue to have headlines like: ‘Iowa police shut down 4 year old’s lemonade stand.’”The bill passed the House last night by unanimous vote.“I think it’s great to encourage young folks to get out there and be young entrepreneurs,” said Representative Sharon Steckman of Mason City.In 2011, police shut down at least three lemonade stands in Coralville the kids didn’t get a permit or under a health inspection to run a food stand on the day RAGBRAI — the Register’s Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa — came to town.Representative Mary Mascher of Iowa City voted for the bill, but aired this concern about lemonade and food stands run by children: “If parents are going to choose to allow their kids to do this, they also need to know that there’s some liability involved and if someone does get sick, or if there is a problem in any way, shape or form that, in essense, the parent’s insurance would have to cover that.”In the past couple of years, lawmakers in Texas and Utah have passed laws legalizing lemonade stands set up kids. A few cities around the country have cracked down on kids — including Girl Scouts — selling cookies. The bill passed by the Iowa House would give kids under the age of 18 a pass on having to apply for business and food permits if they sell baked goods as well as beverages.last_img read more

Police will release evidence in FHP trooper’s death

first_imgThe Martin County Sheriff’s Office will reveal critical evidence on Friday in the case of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper who was shot and killed on Interstate 95 in Martin County earlier this month.UPDATED: Riviera Beach Officer Fatally Shoots Suspect Who Killed FHP Trooper in Martin Co. LIVE: Funeral Procession of Fallen FHP Trooper Joe Bullock Investigators said Trooper Joseph Bullock, 42, was shot and killed on Feb. 5 while trying to help a disabled vehicle in the northbound lanes of I-95. The shooter was identified as 28-year-old Franklin Reed III.On Friday, Martin County Sheriff William Snyder will release a timeline of the events leading up to Trooper Bullock’s tragic death, along with 911 calls and video evidence from the crime.Witness says shooter who killed FHP trooper was allegedly angry about car being towedlast_img read more

London to coach Virginia, 2nd current Black head coach at BCS school

first_imgKEY HIRING—New University of Virginia head football coach, Mike London, left, speaks during a news conference with athletic director, Craig Littlepage, right, in Charlottesville, Va., Dec. 7. by Hank Kurz Jr.CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP)—Mike London said all the right things in accepting the job to rebuild Virginia’s football program, talking of how high academic standards shouldn’t rule out success on the field and the importance of building deep and personal relationships.The latter will be especially true as it relates to high schools and recruiting. “I think we have to recapture the state of Virginia,” the former Richmond coach said Monday. He succeeds his former boss, Al Groh, who was fired last Sunday after nine seasons and a 1-8 record against Virginia Tech, the dominant team in the Atlantic Coast Conference.London agreed to a five-year contract that will pay him $1.7 million per year to take over a team coming off a 3-9 record, its worst since 1982. It has had three losing seasons in the last four and fallen behind the rival Hokies in the minds of many in-state recruits.London will be just the second current Black head coach in the six conferences with automatic bids to the BCS, joining Miami’s Randy Shannon, but said he wanted to be hired on his merits, not his skin color.“I guess you guys can talk about the historical significance of it,” he said.His hiring, though, was celebrated elsewhere.Former NFL head coach Tony Dungy, who on Sunday night called the low number of Black head coaches in the college game “disgraceful,” said in an e-mail that he applauds Virginia “on doing an inclusive search. I hope this will be an encouragement to other universities to do the same—to look at a broad picture of candidates and hire the best person for their job.”London is just the 10th Black coach at the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools.Widely respected as a recruiter, London says he intends to build a network that reaches not only into high schools, but into the surrounding communities because, he said, “people don’t care about how much you know until they know about how much you care.”He also had a message for high school coaches, particularly in the state:“If Virginia hasn’t been there, we’ll be there,” he said.London left a team that won the Football Championship Subdivision national championship in 2008 and reached the quarterfinals of the playoffs this year to return to a place he knows well, having spent six years as an assistant under Groh in two stints between 2001-07.The courtship was “a whirlwind,” according to London, who said the downer of his Spiders losing to Appalachian State in the last 10 seconds on Saturday night was replaced early the next morning by “euphoria” once Virginia asked for permission to speak with him.Athletic director Craig Littlepage said once he knew he was in the market for a head coach, “one coach, just one, stood out,” and he was delighted that London was available.“There have been a lot of athletic directors who have asked me about him. I was hoping they wouldn’t hire him for that maybe one day we’d have this sort of predicament,” he said.London’s background as a college coach also includes stops at Boston College and William & Mary, similarly strict academic schools, and he said his recruiting approach will be to seek players who view playing football at Virginia as a best of both worlds opportunity.“It’s a fit, a perfect fit for me,” he said.last_img read more

Westport Winery Wins Unanimous Double Golds at Great Northwest Invitational

first_imgFacebook180Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Westport WineryThis week we were excited to get the text that said, “Your Cabs are kicking a** in Hood River.” This the first time we were invited to participate in the Great Northwest Invitational Wine Competition held at the Columbia Gorge Inn in Hood River, Oregon.Photo courtesy: Westport WineryThe prestigious event offers twenty wine judges the opportunity to invite up to 100 wines each to compete for top honors. That means a win, is a BIG win!We had three 2017 Cabernet Sauvignons represented in this competition. Charterboat Chick, MV Endeavor, and MV Argonaut. All three received double gold medals (unanimous panel decisions).Our Cabernet Sauvignon “program” is one that our director of winemaking Dana Roberts has been nurturing for years. He is convinced that Washington State grows the best Cab Sauv grapes. For Dana, the best way to finish wine from his favorite vineyards is to age it in special French oak barrels. The results of this event proves that his passion is in the right place.To accomplish this feat we are fortunate to partner and collaborate with the top wine grape growers in Washington.Joe Hattrup, who owns both Sugarloaf and Elephant Mountain Vineyards in the Rattlesnake Hills AVA, grew the fruit Dana used to craft MV Endeavor—named after the dive boat Blain built at Westport Shipyard where he met his future wife Kim Irving. We also harvest Malbec, Mouvedre, Grenache, Syrah, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Merlot, and of course, our beloved Cabernet Sauvignon at Hattrup Farms.Charterboat Chick features 52% Cab from Conner-Lee Vineyard in the Columbia Valley AVA and 48% from May’s Discovery Vineyard in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA.Photo courtesy: Westport WineryMV Argonaut (named after Blain’s first dive boat on Maui) is made from grapes exclusively grown at Conner-Lee Vineyard.During your next visit to Westport Winery Garden Resort you will see the new tasting room for Ocean’s Daughter Distillery. We hope to have our first few selections available for tasting and purchase by Thanksgiving. Just like at the winery we will offer complimentary gift wrapping to be sure to include spirits in your holiday gift list.Westport Winery Seaside received the 2019 Rising Star Award from the Seaside Chamber of Commerce. Westport Winery and the Roberts family were honored with Seattle Business Magazine’s Community Involvement Business of the Year for 2018. In 2017 the Westport Winery Garden Resort was named Greater Grays Harbor Business of the Year. USA Today named the Sea Glass Grill at Westport Winery Garden Resort one of the top five winery restaurants in the nation. The business has been voted Best Winery by King 5 Evening Magazine.In 2016 Westport Winery was honored as one of the top twenty most-admired wineries in North America by Winery & Vineyard Management Magazine. The business earned Best Winery, Best Wine Shop, and Best Boutique Winery for 2016 by South Sound Magazine. They received the Grays Harbor Environmental Stewardship Award in 2015. They are finalist to the Best Washington Family Business competition by Seattle Business Magazine. And in 2011 they garnered Washington Winery to Watch by Wine Press Northwest.Photo courtesy: Westport WineryIn Oregon, Westport Winery Seaside and Seaside Kites are open daily from 11am to 6pm. For more information on the Oregon operation guests can visit their website at www.westportwinery.com. Family-friendly Westport Winery Garden Resort is located on the corner of Highway 105 and South Arbor Road halfway between Aberdeen and Westport. The Sea Glass Grill at the resort is open daily or brunch, lunch, and dinner from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and until 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. For more information or reservations call 360-648-2224.last_img read more

United Way of Thurston County Launches Emergency Assistance Fund to Help…

first_imgFacebook64Tweet0Pin0Submitted by United Way of Thurston CountyIt is in times of need that we discover the full impact of a community united. Today, United Way of Thurston County (UWTC) is mobilizing the caring power of people in Thurston County by activating its Emergency Assistance Fund, a community-wide effort to provide rapid financial assistance to families and individuals affected by the Nisqually River flood.“This is a rapidly developing event. We have teams assessing the impacted areas and will have more details in the coming days. Right now, we are aware of at least several dozen homes that have sustained major damage, and more that are still inaccessible. Shelter for displaced families and individuals is the highest priority, and we are working on coordinating disaster cleanup efforts and replacement of critical household items,” said Sandy Eccker, Manager at Thurston County Emergency Management.“United Way of Thurston County is prepared to respond to this emergency by working to quickly mobilize local resources to assist Thurston County residents who have been directly impacted by the flooding,” said UWTC’s executive director, Chris Wells. “At this time, funds for emergency housing are available for displaced families and individuals impacted by this crisis.”Community Action Council of Lewis, Mason & Thurston Counties (CAC) is partnering with United Way and will manage the distribution of the Emergency Assistance Fund. Residents who have been displaced from their homes can receive emergency shelter assistance by calling the CAC at 360-438-1100 or 1-800-878-5235. CAC hours are Monday – Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.United Way is accepting donations to the Emergency Assistance Fund. Donations can be made online. 100 percent of donations made to United Way of Thurston County’s Emergency Assistance Fund will be used to provide rapid financial assistance to those impacted by the current crisis. Any remaining funds will be held to address future local emergencies.Individual and corporate gifts can also be made in person or by mail at United Way of Thurston County, located at 3525 7th Ave SW Suite 201, Olympia, WA 98502.last_img read more

Serie A cancelled for the first time since World War 2 due to Coronavirus…

first_imgImage Courtesy: AFP/Serie AAdvertisement ndNBA Finals | Brooklyn VslgWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Ewl9i( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 6prw1uWould you ever consider trying this?😱66nhnoCan your students do this? 🌚6clRoller skating! Powered by Firework In the recent times, the  COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak has caused a major disruption in sporting events across the world. The virus, originated in the city of Wuhan in China, has found its way into other countries, and in Europe, its Italy which has been affected the most. The country’s most prestigious football league, the Serie A, has been called off, an incident which occurred after a gap of 78 years, since it was first cancelled in 1942 during World War 2.Advertisement Image Courtesy: AFP/Serie AAs of today, 463 people in Italy have died from the virus, along with 9,172 people who have been infected. With the entire country on lock down, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte officially announced yesterday that Serie A will be on a temporary hault.“Serie A and all sporting tournaments in general are suspended. All the fans must accept that. There is no reason for these competitions to continue.” Conte said at a press conference on Monday night as quoted by Football Italia.Advertisement The recent league games has seen empty stands in the stadium, as was the situation in Allianz Stadium last night as Juventus defeated Inter 2-0. Aaron Ramsay and Paulo Dybala had no supporters in the stadium to celebrate their goals.As of now, Serie A and Serie B has been suspended for a month until April 3, as it was decided by the Italian National Olympic Committee’s (CONI) yesterday.With all other football tournaments also suspended in the country, this will have an impact on the UEFA Champions League matches to be hosted in Italy this month, such as Juventus who are scheduled to take on Lyon on March 17.Prime Minister Conte has also asked the 60 million Italian citizens to avoid travel and large public gatherings.“There is no more time, the numbers tell us there is a significant increase in the contagion, in intensive care and the deaths. Our habits have to change, we must sacrifice something for the good of all of Italy. This is why we will adopt even more stringent measures,” Conte added.Last week, Inter donated €100,000 to the Department of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences at the Sacco Hospital in Milan to coronavirus research and aid in combatting the outbreak of the virus.Following the announcement of the lock down, AC Milan has joined up with its charity foundation Fondazione Milan to donate €250,000 as emergency support. The joint donation will be granted to Lombardy government’s emergency arm AREU.Also read-Sourav Ganguly gives massive update on IPL 2020 amid Coronavirus fears Advertisementlast_img read more