More Details Revealed About Broadway-Aimed First Wives Club Musical

first_img Bloodworth-Thomason also revealed that “we didn’t use the old script. Didn’t even reread it. I don’t do rewrites.” And who will be filling the classic Goldie Hawn/Diane Keaton/Bette Midler roles? “Our people will have to sing. I’ve been casting in New York and Hollywood, but not picked anyone yet. Stars aren’t a requisite.” View Comments We’re intrigued. The stage adaptation didn’t make it to Broadway after a San Diego run back in 2009 starring Barbara Walsh, Sheryl Lee Ralph and Karen Ziemba. This incarnation, directed by Simon Phillips, has music and lyrics by Motown’s Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland, along with a book by Bloodworth-Thomason and Rupert Holmes.center_img More information is coming to light about the previously reported stage adaptation of the First Wives Club, which is eyeing Broadway in fall 2015 following a run in Chicago. Linda Bloodworth-Thomason, who wrote the hit 1996 movie and is working on the show’s book, told the New York Post: “It’s a talksicle. It’s funny and takes place in ’92.” We’re envisioning big ballads, bigger shoulder pads and some smart one-liners.last_img read more

H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: Antivirals by phone, coordinating South American response, usefulness of vaccine contracts, first case in Haiti

first_imgJul 16, 2009Britain prepares to launch phone service to supply antiviralsFollowing a surge of flu-like illnesses, a British system that will allow people to report symptoms by phone and obtain antiviral drugs will be launched very soon, The Times newspaper reported today. Data from general practitioners indicated that the rate of people reporting flu-like illnesses rose to 73 per 100,000 last week, from 50 per 100,000 the week before, the newspaper said. Using the phone service, people will get reference numbers that friends can use to collect antivirals for them.[Jul 16 Times report]South American health ministers meet to coordinate pandemic responseHealth ministers from six South American countries met yesterday in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to coordinate responses to the H1N1 pandemic, according to a report from TerraDaily, a business and technology news Web site. Besides Argentina, the meeting included Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Ministers said the countries need to share medicine and supplies, and they voiced concern about access to vaccines. Argentina has had 137 deaths, second highest toll after the United States.Vaccine contracts might prove worthless in severe pandemic, experts sayExperts warn that if the H1N1 flu pandemic turns severe, countries that have vaccine factories might seize vaccine supplies, rendering contracts that promise doses to other countries meaningless, the Associated Press reports. Many vaccine contracts that countries have signed involve doses made outside their borders. In a severe pandemic, countries with vaccine plants might decide to seize all doses and ban their export, said David Fidler, a law professor at Indiana University, and other experts.Haiti reports its first pandemic H1N1 casesHaiti has confirmed its first three novel H1N1 flu cases, according to a Xinhua report published yesterday. Two cases are in Chilean soldiers serving in the United Nations Stabilization Mission for Haiti, and the third involves a 23-year-old Haitian who has not been outside the country. The two soldiers entered Haiti early this month. All three patients were in stable condition. Samples from 61 people are being tested in foreign laboratories, Health Minister Alex Larsen said.National Biodefense Science Board to hold teleconferenceThe National Biodefense Science Board will host a public teleconference tomorrow to allow the public to participate and comment in a session on findings from an H1N1 countermeasures and decision-making forum held last month by the board’s pandemic influenza working group. Members of the public are invited to call in to listen to and comment on the board’s deliberations. Call-in information is listed on the board’s Web site, listed below.NIAID seeking H1N1 patients for studyThe National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) said today that it is seeking patients with pandemic H1N1 influenza to participate in a study of how the disease affects those with chronic illnesses and impaired immune systems. The study is taking place at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, Md. Findings will be used to develop new prevention and treatment strategies against the new flu strain.last_img read more

Plans surface for new hotels

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Trojans look to keep streak alive at home

first_imgJust like the Southeastern Conference in football and the Big East Conference in men’s basketball, the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation stands alone in men’s volleyball as the premiere division across the country. No other conference has as many national championships, ranked teams or the caliber of competition as the MPSF annually showcases.Rising star · Junior opposite hitter and team co-captain Murphy Troy, pictured here from last season, helped the Trojans sweep Long Beach State Wednesday night, contributing 20 kills. The Trojans host UC San Diege Friday night. – Daily Trojan file photo. So in a year in which the USC men’s volleyball team has held its status as the top team in the land despite a brutal schedule away from home and three tough early conference matchups, the road ahead will continue to challenge the strength and resolve of the Trojans (5-1, 3-0).That challenge continues tonight as the Trojans welcome No. 12 UC San Diego to the Galen Center, in an inter-conference showdown that marks the seventh straight match USC will face a top 25 opponent.The Trojans are coming off what was arguably their most impressive and efficient match of the year, after they defeated the No. 8 Long Beach State 49ers with relative ease in three sets (30-28, 31-29, 30-23). Led by junior opposite hitter Murphy Troy’s 20 kills, senior middle blocker Hunter Current’s five blocks and sophomore middle blocker Andrew Pizula’s match-high 12 digs, USC looked the part of a No. 1 team in its home opener.No. 12 UCSD (2-4, 1-2) is also coming off its most impressive win of the early season, as the team defeated No. 7 Pepperdine in four sets on Wednesday night for its first win against the Waves in school history.While the Tritons enter this season as one of the youngest teams in the conference, they are led by savvy veterans Frank Fritsch and Calvin Ross. Fritsch, the team’s outside hitter and senior leader, led the team with 366 kills in 2009 while Ross, the team’s top middle blocker, led the Tritons in blocks last season.So though on paper the advantage of experience tends to lean toward the Trojans in this match, the players know that in every match in the MPSF conference they will be facing the opposing team’s best shot. And tonight’s match against the Tritons is likely to be no different.“USC always has a target on its back. By having the reputation as a top contending program, every team wants to claim a win against the Trojans,” Current said.First serve will be at 7 p.m. and will mark just the second time this season the road-weary Trojans will have an opportunity to play in front of their home crowd. The match also marks the last time the team will be in town for the rest of January and the beginning of February, as their upcoming matches are at Pepperdine, Cal State Northridge and Santa Barbara.last_img read more

Onyshko nets saves mark in water polo

first_img He has a goals-against average of 7.04 this season. Onyshko has also contributed seven assists for the 49ers this season. Long Beach State returns to action this Saturday when it plays host to Stanford at the Campus Pool at noon. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the WeekHoops tickets on sale Season tickets for men’s and women’s basketball are on sale at the Walter Pyramid box office. Also available are mini-plans for both teams’ games. Men’s season tickets start at $80. In addition, a seven-game plan is available for $49 with the specific games flexible. Season tickets for the women’s games start at $65, or $45 for faculty/staff and alumni. Also, a seven-game Saturday plan is available for $30. For more information, call (562) 985-4949. Scrimmage, BBQ on tap Long Beach State men’s water polo goalie Thomas Onyshko became the program’s career leader in saves in last Saturday’s contest against California in the NorCal Tournament. The senior had 35 saves in the four games that the 49ers played in the event and now has 744 for his career, 20 more than Brian Flint recorded from 1984-86. Onyshko has started all 23 of the 49ers’ games this season, and has totaled 178 saves this year, or an average of 7.74 per game. center_img The annual 49er women’s basketball black and gold scrimmage and barbecue will take place Oct. 29. The team will practice at the Pyramid from 9-11 a.m., then play a scrimmage from 11 a.m. to noon. Fans will have a chance to meet the players and coaches. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Canada aligning with UK to fight global growth in coalfired electricity

first_imgOTTAWA – Canada is joining forces with the United Kingdom to push for a global crackdown on unabated coal-fired electricity.Eliminating, or at least reducing, the world’s reliance on coal is a critical step in the Paris climate change accord’s efforts to prevent the planet from warming more than two degrees Celsius over with pre-industrial times.Environment Minister Catherine McKenna is on a two-day trip to the U.K. and Ireland this week, pushing Canada as a global leader on climate change action.Today she will be in Ireland to be a panellist at a climate risk conference in Dublin and tour Ireland’s Marine Institute in Galway.During Wednesday’s stop in London she and Claire Perry, British minister of state for climate change and industry, announced plans to use their own national commitments to phase out coal power plants as a means to convince others to do the same.In a statement, the two said Canada and the U.K. are both committed to phasing out unabated coal use at home — Canada by 2030 and the U.K. by 2025 — and they are inviting others to jump on board during the next United Nations climate talks in Bonn, Germany in November.Unabated coal plants are those built without carbon capture or storage, which reduces their emissions significantly.About 40 per cent of the world’s power is generated from burning coal and in Canada one-tenth of electricity comes from coal plants.“All the models show you one of the key things that has to happen if we’re going to get anywhere close to our climate change commitments is that coal has to exit the energy mix as fast as possible and that means government intervention to cut it out,” said Rob Bailey, research director of energy, environment and resources at Chatham House, a British independent policy think tank.McKenna was the closing keynote speaker at Chatham House’s climate change conference Wednesday but Bailey said he hadn’t yet heard about Canada and Britain’s plans.“The devil is in the details of all these things, but that is exactly the kind of thing they should be doing,” said Bailey. “I think that’s very positive.”He said he’d also like to see Canada push for a coal phase-out commitment as part of the G7 talks, which Canada will host next spring in Charlevoix, Que.Bailey said when U.S. President Donald Trump decided to pull the U.S. out of the Paris climate accord, he left a big leadership gap, noting without joint leadership of China and the U.S. under President Barack Obama, the Paris agreement would never have been possible.Bailey said the next big step for Paris is that in 2020 the signatories are expected to resubmit their national emissions reductions targets, which have to get more ambitious if the two degree goal has any hope. He said if China and the U.S. stepped up with more ambitious plans others would have followed them.Now it’s going to need a coalition of countries to take the U.S.’s place because no one nation on its own is as wealthy, powerful or influential as the U.S. The U.K. and Canada both have the kind of national climate change plans that give them authority on the matter internationally and Bailey said they now need to really use it.“They need to build the tent,” he said. “The more rich countries and developing countries they can bring in on coal or other aspects of the climate agenda the better.”He noted Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s international position helps.“You have a prime minister who is high-profile internationally, charismatic, dynamic,” he said. “A lot of this does come down to personalities at the end of the day and that’s somebody who could potentially catalyze things if they invest the political time in a diplomatic effort.”Urgewald, a German environmental organization, in June, released a list of 850 new coal-fired plants on tap to be built in 62 nations, including 33 which currently don’t burn much, if any coal, to make electricity. If they are all built it will increase coal-fired power production 45 per cent.-follow @mrabson on Twitter.last_img read more

BC federal government working to save Fraser River stocks after rock slide

first_imgVICTORIA — The federal and British Columbia governments have made a joint commitment to do everything possible to make sure chinook, steelhead, coho and sockeye are able to reach their spawning grounds past a rock slide in the Fraser River.The province says in a news release that Premier John Horgan briefed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on the slide that threatens to block millions of returning salmon.B.C. Forests, Lands and Natural Resources Minister Doug Donaldson says the team has developed a multi-pronged plan to save the salmon, some of which are already listed as species of concern.The massive rock slide northwest of Kamloops narrowed the river and created a five-metre waterfall, holding back many fish that are swimming against the fast-flowing river in an effort to get back to spawn.Federal Fisheries Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says the governments, along with First Nations communities, are working around the clock to do everything possible to see the fish pass safety through the site.He says collaborative efforts that also involve Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the coast guard are crucial to give the salmon stocks the best chance of survival.The province says challenges facing any remediation work include rapid flow conditions, accessibility to the remote site, unstable water levels and heavy river debris and silt.The Fisheries Department says the overall team is constructing a temporary aluminum fishway, testing options for transporting the fish by helicopter and truck and assessing the feasibility of new fish transport systems.“As a result of these parallel planning efforts, the team will be able to escalate their response to changing conditions as they get better information on how successfully the salmon are passing the slide site.”Work to drop massive boulders into the water directly under a cliff was to begin this week, with the hope the boulders will form a series of pools that fish can use as resting places while hopscotching their way up the side of the waterfall.The bucketing and boulder placement are just two of the proposals developed by the biologists, hydrologists, geotechnicians and others who have been working to save the fish.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

ONeill pleased with teams display in disappointing draw

first_imgRepublic of Ireland head coach Martin O’Neill insists he is proud of his team’s display, despite a disappointing draw against Denmark.The Irish hosted Denmark in only their second game of the group in the UEFA Nations League after losing their first game to Wales and were greeted by jeers after the draw with the Danes.O’Neill said, according to IrishMirror: “We had pockets of possession and I thought we had a feeling we could do something with it but we wanted to create more than we did.”“I thought we started the game well but we allowed Denmark dictate things possession wise.”“And while they didn’t cause us that many problems, they had more of the ball and we were chasing it. But when we kept the ball much better in the second half.”Meanwhile, the former Aston Villa manager praised Cyrus Christie who played in an unfamiliar role, tucked into midfield with Matt Doherty making his competitive bow at right wing-back.Emile Heskey, LiverpoolReport: Former Liverpool striker Heskey reveals all George Patchias – September 10, 2019 Former Liverpool striker Emile Heskey reveals all in his new book.In Heskey’s new book “Even Heskey Scored,” serialised in the Guardian, the player talks,…“I thought Cyrus was terrific and I’ve a lot of faith in him. He is athletic and strong and he keeps himself in great condition.”“I thought Sisto might cause us problems and Cyrus was usually the first one out to deal with him and he also had a great shot on goal.”Doherty who plays his club football with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League, winning the PFA Player of the Month award.And O’Neill said: “There was a lot of expectation on him as he’s doing well with Wolves and is getting used to the Premier League. He didn’t do too badly.”But O’Neill was not crying foul about Shane Duffy’s late penalty appeal, stating: “I think it would have been harsh on them. He has touched him, but I don’t think it’s a penalty.”last_img read more

Pizzi says Arabia will not take North Korea for granted

first_imgThe Saudi Arabia national team will play their opening match of Group E against North Korea in the 2019 Asian Cup.After seeing surprising results so far in the 2019 AFC Asian Cup, Saudi Arabia is not taking things for granted.And coach Juan Antonio Pizzi says they will not relax against North Korea.“I respect all teams we will play against. We know these teams, but history counts for nothing as we have to play each of them and win,” Pizzi said according to The Gulf News.SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA - AUGUST 11: Players from South Korea (blue) and North Korea (red) compete for the ball during a "Unification Soccer" matches at Seoul World Cup stadium on August 11, 2018 in Seoul, South Korea. South Korea's Unification Ministry said on Thursday that North Korea proposed talks at Panmunjom on Monday to discuss preparations for the possibility of a third summit meeting between North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, and President Moon Jae-in of the South. South Korean officials have reportedly expressed interest in holding the third meeting soon with hopes of denuclearizing the Korean peninsula amidst easing tensions between both sides. (Photo by Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images)Infantino wants a world cup in North and South Korea Manuel R. Medina – March 5, 2019 The FIFA president believes the 2023 Women’s World Cup can be played in North Korea and South Korea, as he wants them to share a bid.“If we can’t win then we won’t get the points. Tomorrow we need to go out there and win those three points.”“It’s not going to be easy. There are pros and cons and the job of the strikers is to score goals so that we can win,” he explained.“We trust in all our players and they will give their best to ensure we take the three points.”last_img read more