Calls for third presidential term increase pressure on news media

first_img June 10, 2021 Find out more May 16, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Calls for third presidential term increase pressure on news media Help by sharing this information News Organisation Reacting to a heavy-handed secret police raid on a TV station on 14 May, Reporters Without Borders today urged the Nigerian authorities to show more restraint towards the press and said it feared there could be more attacks on journalists critical of a proposed constitutional amendment to allow President Olusegun Obasanjo to run for a third term.“The debate about a third presidential term must be allowed to take place,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is unacceptable that the constitutional amendment’s opponents are subject to intimidation by the president’s supporters, whether policemen or political activists. Those running the government must ensure respect for the basic rules of democratic debate.”On 14 May, eight members of the State Security Service (SSS) burst into the offices of Daar Communications Limited – which owns radio Ray Power FM and the TV station Africa Independent Television (AIT) – in Asokoro, a district of the federal capital, Abuja. Claiming they had been sent by the president’s office, they confiscated a documentary that had been aired on AIT two days before. Called “A Documentary on Tenure Elongation,” it was about all the unsuccessful attempts by previous Nigerian rulers to remain in office longer than they were supposed to. It was funded by an independent pressure group called the “National Patriots,” which is opposed to a third term for Obasanjo.Nigeria’s oldest privately-owned TV station, ATI has been in the government’s sights since it began carrying live broadcasts of the national assembly debates about the amendment to the 1999 constitution proposed in recent weeks by Obasanjo’s supporters, which could allow both the president and state governors to run for another four-year term.Meanwhile, death threats have been made against James Ojo, the national assembly correspondent for the privately-owned daily The Sun, after he upset Obasanjo supporters. He has received several anonymous phone calls in which he was told his life would be at risk if he did not stop his “negative reporting on the third term.” Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria to go further January 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Nigeria Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Reporters Without Borders calls on the Nigerian authorities to show more restraint towards the press after a heavy-handed raid on a TV station by the secret police. The organisation fears an increase in attacks on journalists critical of a proposed constitutional amendment that would let the president run for a third term. Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms RSF_en NigeriaAfrica News NigeriaAfrica Receive email alerts News News February 8, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Simon Harris: “Who can do the most? It’s You and it’s…

first_imgPrint Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Twitter Previous articleJohn Cregan: “Our volunteers and their clubs have a great capacity to respond in times of difficulty”Next articleLimerick Post Show | March 27, 2020 Meghann Scully TAGSCoronaviruscovid19Keeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick PostSimon Harris Linkedin WhatsAppcenter_img Email WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Advertisement Facebook LimerickNewsSimon Harris: “Who can do the most? It’s You and it’s your family”By Meghann Scully – March 27, 2020 333 Simon Harris spoke to RTE news2day SIMON Harris has been answering questions for children surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic.In the interview with RTÉ news2day, the Minister, addressed topics such as hand washing, keeping distance and staying at home while answering questions sent in via video from kids across Ireland:Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash last_img read more