Calls for third presidential term increase pressure on news media

first_img June 10, 2021 Find out more May 16, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Calls for third presidential term increase pressure on news media Help by sharing this information News Organisation Reacting to a heavy-handed secret police raid on a TV station on 14 May, Reporters Without Borders today urged the Nigerian authorities to show more restraint towards the press and said it feared there could be more attacks on journalists critical of a proposed constitutional amendment to allow President Olusegun Obasanjo to run for a third term.“The debate about a third presidential term must be allowed to take place,” the press freedom organisation said. “It is unacceptable that the constitutional amendment’s opponents are subject to intimidation by the president’s supporters, whether policemen or political activists. Those running the government must ensure respect for the basic rules of democratic debate.”On 14 May, eight members of the State Security Service (SSS) burst into the offices of Daar Communications Limited – which owns radio Ray Power FM and the TV station Africa Independent Television (AIT) – in Asokoro, a district of the federal capital, Abuja. Claiming they had been sent by the president’s office, they confiscated a documentary that had been aired on AIT two days before. Called “A Documentary on Tenure Elongation,” it was about all the unsuccessful attempts by previous Nigerian rulers to remain in office longer than they were supposed to. It was funded by an independent pressure group called the “National Patriots,” which is opposed to a third term for Obasanjo.Nigeria’s oldest privately-owned TV station, ATI has been in the government’s sights since it began carrying live broadcasts of the national assembly debates about the amendment to the 1999 constitution proposed in recent weeks by Obasanjo’s supporters, which could allow both the president and state governors to run for another four-year term.Meanwhile, death threats have been made against James Ojo, the national assembly correspondent for the privately-owned daily The Sun, after he upset Obasanjo supporters. He has received several anonymous phone calls in which he was told his life would be at risk if he did not stop his “negative reporting on the third term.” Twitter blocked, journalism threatened in Nigeria to go further January 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Nigeria Nigerian investigative journalist forced to flee after massacre disclosures Reporters Without Borders calls on the Nigerian authorities to show more restraint towards the press after a heavy-handed raid on a TV station by the secret police. The organisation fears an increase in attacks on journalists critical of a proposed constitutional amendment that would let the president run for a third term. Nigerian news site deliberately blocked, expert report confirms RSF_en NigeriaAfrica News NigeriaAfrica Receive email alerts News News February 8, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

European funding required to aid Abbeyfeale residents

first_imgAbbeyfeale water supply gets the all clear Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Clubs in Munster Junior Cup action live up to expectations At the Abbeyfeale town park were Celine McNally, Cllr Seamus Browne, Liadh Ni Riada MEP, and James Hartnett.THE Government has been urged to make more use of European funds available for flood relief programmes, which could benefit communities like Abbeyfeale in County Limerick where erosion is posing danger to homes and public facilities.Ireland South MEP, Liadh Ní Riada, made the call during her recent visit to the West Limerick town where she saw firsthand the damage caused by the River Feale. The Ireland South MEP deemed it “deeply frustrating that both local and national government always seems to be on the back-foot when it comes to issues like flooding and erosion”.“We are all aware of these issues, aware of where they are likely to happen, aware that they are, at certain times of year, a regular occurrence and yet there seems to be no plan of action. They always appear to be reacting to events rather than putting the structures in place to prevent them,” Miss Ní Riada commented.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “Both the OPW and Limerick City and County Council are well aware of the issues along the River Feale. My colleague Cllr Séamus Browne has been very vocal on the issue and yet they do not seem to have the foresight to act now rather than having to spend much more later on in response to an event.“Similarly, there are huge amounts of money available in Europe for projects such as flood relief and yet the government is either unaware of them or unwilling to apply for them and draw them down,” she claimed.Cllr Séamus Browne told the Limerick Post this week that river erosion in Abbeyfeale is a real issue for the community.“The response to date from the State agencies including the OPW has been less than helpful. No State agencies are willing to take responsibility for the issue and this is a completely unacceptable position. The River Feale is changing course and this is going to cause more erosion over time,” he warned.Director of Abbeyfeale Town Park, James Hartnett, pointed out that while erosion along river banks is a national problem caused by climate change and global warming, some areas are in more urgent need of intervention than others.“EU projects generally take a long time to establish and our fear is that we may lose much more to erosion while we are waiting,” he concluded.by Alan [email protected] Twitter Print WhatsApp Abbeyfeale company getting back to work €1.5 million boost for five County Limerick towns from Rural Regeneration and Development Fund center_img TAGSAbbeyfealeAbbeyfeale Town ParkCllr Seamus BrowneJames HartnettLiadh Ni RiadaLimerick City and County Councilriver erosionSinn Fein Homelessness is a real worry in Abbeyfeale Linkedin Email Facebook Previous articleLittle Hours play shows over the weekendNext articleMotorcyclists urged to “Bike Safe” over the summer months Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Abbeyfeale’s Munster Football success can inspire any team NewsLocal NewsEuropean funding required to aid Abbeyfeale residentsBy Alan Jacques – April 19, 2018 1897 last_img read more

Start date confirmed for Leaving Cert

first_img By News Highland – April 24, 2020 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Facebook WhatsApp Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction Twitter News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ WhatsApp DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHORcenter_img Twitter Previous articleQuestions raised over cancer surgeries at LUHNext articleCriteria for Covid-19 testing likely to be broadened News Highland A start date for the Leaving Cert has been confirmed by the Minister for Education – it’s Wednesday July 29th.Joe McHugh last night told the Dáil a schedule for the exams will be released in the first week of June.The confirmation of a start time for the exams been welcomed by teachers’ unions.President of the TUI, Seamus Lahart, says the exam timetable will also impact the start date for the new college year:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/leavrdfgdfgdfgincert7am-2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 AudioHomepage BannerNews Facebook Pinterest Start date confirmed for Leaving Certlast_img read more

CONGRESS’ MEMORIAL DAY GOAL: GIVE MILLIONS AMNESTY

first_imgby Joe GuzzardiIn 2014, more than two years before he became Secretary of Defense, United States Marine Corps General James Mattis addressed an audience of war veterans for the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. Mattis told the all-volunteer group, “You signed blank checks payable with your lives to the American people,” a reference to the day corps members signed their contracts obligating them to serve.General Mattis praised the soldiers’ personal commitment, their determination to bring home their fellow soldiers, their value and ferocity, and their families’ sacrifices. During his speech, General Mattis referenced the “political rhetoric swirling around these little understood wars… .”Debate about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars has subsided. But, since President Donald Trump’s inauguration, the Capitol Hill immigration furor has ratcheted up to ten times the level of the wars’ din. The question put before likely mid-term election voters on Memorial Day 2018 is whether the more than 1.1 million U.S. military who have died protecting America and her citizens in the last 250 years would be on board with the Republican-controlled Congress’ amnesty obsession.The best way to describe the congressional pro-amnesty factions, GOP and Democrats alike, is that they’re frantically committed to force an amnesty upon a majority immigration-skeptical American public. With amnesty would come lifetime work authorization privileges and the resultant chain migration that will eventually add millions more residents to an already overcrowded America. Immigration and chain migration drive the majority of population growth.In its effort to impose amnesty, Congress is in the midst of gyrations so convoluted that only immigration lawyers and geeky policy wonks who specialize in immigration can decipher. The two key elements, both obscure, are a discharge petition and the so-called Queen-of-the-Hill vote.Without getting too bogged down in the swamp, if the discharge petition gets 25 GOP votes, the minimum necessary assuming all Democrats also sign on, then a vote on four different immigration bills would take place, including the DREAM Act and deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) amnesties. The legislation that gets the most votes over 218 would be sent to the Senate where, because 100 percent Democratic support is certain and enough GOP backing is highly likely, it would pass.Between now and Congress’ weeklong Memorial Day recess, no one can predict what may happen. But that Congress is so totally disconnected from Americans’ resistance to higher immigration is a remarkable and troubling indictment of the political process. U.S. House Republican Jeff Denham, the leading force behind the Queen-of-the-Hill movement, represents Exhibit One which proves how far over the amnesty edge Congress is.A Pulse Opinion Research poll recently taken in Denham’s 10th California District revealed that 50 percent of likely Hispanic voters oppose a DACA amnesty plan that doesn’t include corresponding benefits for Americans. Hispanics comprise about 40 percent of Denham’s district. The poll also showed that 58 percent of Hispanics support mandatory E-Verify and reducing the one million annual legal immigration total.The lesson that Congress willfully refuses to learn is that amnesty begets more amnesties. Since the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act, promoted and passed as the last-ever amnesty, the then-three million illegal immigrant population has soared to today’s conservatively estimated 12 million.Nevertheless, Congress’ goal as Memorial Day approaches is amnesty and work authorization for millions, the people’s will be damned.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more