NAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger, in a message that will be streamed live, today will highlight the association’s accomplishments and credit union industry milestones during the opening general session of NAFCU’s 50th Annual Conference and Solutions Expo in Honolulu.During his remarks, Berger will recognize NAFCU’s 50 years of service to credit unions and how the industry has evolved within the past 50 years. He will also address the growth of the industry and how NAFCU will continue its fight for credit union regulatory relief.Following Berger’s speech, credit union attendees will receive a agency update from NCUA Acting Chairman J. Mark McWatters, who will discuss the current regulatory environment and what it means for credit unions. Keynote speaker Jeff Havens will discuss strategies credit unions can use to identify and eliminate problems caused by generational disconnects and tips to inspire a healthier, more robust work ethic in younger credit union employees.Attendees also have the opportunity to attend breakout sessions focusing on how to better credit union executive leadership skills, maintaining a strong board of directors and best practices for supervisory committee members. continue reading » 10SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Topics : Other former KPK leaders and Novel’s legal team members had urged the KPK to act upon the light sentence sought against the defendants, arguing that the attack on Novel was an attack on the national corruption eradication agenda as well. “If I were the judge, I would use my judge reasoning in addition to my legal reasoning and intuition,” he continued.If the judge were to acquit the defendants of all charges, Busyro suggested that President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo form an independent fact-finding team to reopen the new investigation instead of handing it over to the police again.State prosecutors had previously demanded a one-year prison sentence against the defendants, police personnel Chief Brig. Ronny Bugis and Brig. Rahmat Kadir Mahulette. The defendants allegedly attacked Novel with sulfuric acid, resulting in serious damage to Novel’s eyes.The light sentence demands had sparked public outcry questioning the prosecutors’ arguments that the defendants “accidentally” threw the acid into Novel’s face in April 2017.Read also: Baffled by light sentences sought for Novel Baswedan’s attackers, netizens turn to humorActivists and members of the public also raised suspicions that the two policemen were merely scapegoated, with the mastermind still at large.Novel had tweeted through his Twitter account, @nazaqistha, that the defendants should be released “rather than making things up”, expressing his disbelief that the accused were the real culprits. Read also: Jokowi hopes for ‘fair’ verdict in Novel Baswedan’s acid attack trial: State PalaceThe journalist, Fuad Muhammad Syariffudin, was killed in August 1996 shortly after writing a story on several graft practices committed by the Bantul administration in the province.Dwi Sumaji, the sole suspect arrested by the police, allegedly was forced to admit his involvement in the murder. He was later freed of all charges by the Bantul District Court in 1997 due to a lack of evidence.“The real culprit will not be revealed unless the judges free the defendants with their conscience,” Busyro, who led the antigraft agency from 2011 to 2015, said. Former Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Busyro Muqoddas expressed support for the judges at the North Jakarta District Court to free the alleged attackers of graft buster Novel Baswedan in order to give room for a new investigation.“Hopefully the panel of judges will acquit [the defendants] so a new investigation can be carried out,” he said in a virtual discussion on Novel’s case held by Indonesia Corruption Watch (ICW) on Friday.Busyro said the new inquisition would hopefully reveal the real culprits and masterminds behind the case. He cited the murder case of a journalist of Yogyakarta local daily newspaper Bernas during the New Order era.
Charlotte, N.C.— Duke Energy Foundation is accepting grant applications for programs that support K-12 education as part of its new Powerful Communities philanthropic program, which will award strategic charitable grants to nonprofit organizations to build powerful communities by bolstering education, developing the future workforce of the energy sector and conserving and protecting our environment.In 2017, Duke Energy Foundation invested more than $33 million to support communities throughout Duke Energy’s seven-state service area.“Our new Powerful Communities grant program allows us to support programs that are closely aligned with building the smarter energy future our customers want and deserve,” said Cari Boyce, president of the Duke Energy Foundation. “We are excited to be a part of building stronger communities across our service territory.”Applications for the Powerful Communities: K-12 Education grant cycle will be accepted through Jan. 31, 2019. Funding will focus on programs that address the summer reading loss experienced by rising kindergartners through rising third-graders and that advance energy, engineering and environmental education. Programs that extend into out-of-school time and that serve under-represented, low-income or diverse audiences will be given preference in this grant cycle.In addition to K-12 education, Powerful Communities will also include designated grant application windows for the following grant cycles:Workforce – Workforce development programs aligned with the energy industry’s future workforce.Nature – Programs supporting water quality, quantity, conservation and access, habitat and forest restoration and conservation, and species conservation.State Strategic Impact – Priorities defined annually at the state level to respond to the unique needs of the states Duke Energy serves.Duke Energy will continue to accept ongoing applications for smaller grants that support local communities.
Willian returns to the starting line-up in the only change made by Chelsea for their home clash with Burnley.The Brazilian missed the win at Watford last weekend and the EFL Cup victory over Bristol Rovers with a calf injury, but returned to training on Thursday.He replaces Pedro, who drops to the bench. Cesc Fabregas is also a substitute, for the third Premier League game running.It means Chelsea revert to the same line-up that beat West Ham in the opening match.Burnley are unchanged following their 2-0 win over Liverpool last weekend.Former Brentford striker Andre Gray starts, while another ex-Bee James Tarkowski is among the substitutes.Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Kante; Willian, Matic, Fabregas, Hazard; Costa.Subs: Begovic, Aina, Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek, Moses, Pedro, Batshuayi. Burnley: Heaton; Lowton, Keane, Mee, Ward; Arfield, Marney, Defour, Boyd; Gray, Vokes.Subs: Robinson, O’Neill, Darikwa, Tarkowski, Gudmundsson, Jutkiewicz, Kightly.See also:Chelsea can get first clean sheet – and can Costa make it three out of three?Chelsea v Burnley: five key battlesPreview: Can Chelsea make it three out of three against Burnley?Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
SANTA CLARA — Nick Mullens takes his shot Sunday at doing what no 49ers quarterback has pulled off since Alex Smith in 2011: win at Seattle.Colin Kaepernick went 0-4 with eight turnovers. Blaine Gabbert was a predictable 0-2. And Brian Hoyer passed for only 99 yards in last year’s 12-9 loss.So what gives coach Kyle Shanahan the confidence Mullens, after a poor road debut last Sunday at Tampa, can overcome Seattle and its notorious sound?SANTA CLARA, CA – NOVEMBER 1: San Francisco 49ers’ …
Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device. Josh Jacobs broke 1,000 yards for the season before the first quarter was over. The Raiders reached 100 penalties before halftime.The penalties turned out to be a bigger deal than Jacob’s ability to gain yards Sunday in a 40-9 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.In their most important game of the season, where a win would have put them in first place (by tiebreakers) in the AFC West, the Raiders …
“We might have got our formation wrong … but we came back into it and showed great character,” Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere. “We showed our quality going forward.”Unlike Chelsea. A recovery rarely looked on the cards from Antonio Conte’s disjointed side in a derby that exposed the visitors’ shortages in the squad.Chelsea’s attacking threat was sapped by the loss of Willian in the first half with a hamstring problem, and Conte was forced to bring on Ross Barkley for his debut.The new recruit from Everton was lacking sharpness in his first match since being injured May. But Conte was forced to deploy the midfielder as a “false nine” at times. It was little wonder the goal threat was so lacking from a side that won the Premier League last season.Chelsea’s hopes of defending that title faded long ago, with Man City 15 points ahead of the third-place champions. Arsenal is languishing in sixth place but Wenger is still through to a fourth domestic final in five seasons.ADVERTISEMENT View comments 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa For once, it’s not the FA Cup providing cover for Wenger. Arsenal’s defense of the more prestigious domestic cup ended at the first hurdle in an embarrassing loss to Nottingham Forest earlier this month. But a first trip to the League Cup final since 2011 gives Wenger a chance on Feb. 25 to add the only piece of domestic silverware missing in more than 21 years at Arsenal. Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next Arsenal’s Shkodran Mustafi controls the ball during the English League Cup semifinal second leg soccer match between Chelsea and Arsenal at the Emirates stadium in London, Wednesday, Jan.24, 2018. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)LONDON — Two fortuitous goals helped Arsenal beat Chelsea 2-1 on Wednesday and seal a League Cup final meeting with Manchester City, providing a glimmer of joy in a gloomy domestic campaign.Both Arsenal goals received a helping hand from Chelsea defender Antonio Ruediger as the semifinal meeting of London rivals came to life after a sterile, scoreless first leg two weeks ago.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Antetokounmpo says Kidd helped him grow into dominant player NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Chelsea raced into a seventh-minute lead through Eden Hazard but Arsenal quickly fought back. Nacho Monreal’s free header from a corner ricocheted off the heads of Chelsea duo Marcos Alonso and Ruediger before flying into the net in the 12th minute.Arsenal took the lead on the hour when Alexandre Lacazette’s cross was inadvertently diverted by Ruediger into the path of Granit Xhaka, who poked the ball past goalkeeper Willy Caballero.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“In the first half we gave them too much respect, maybe, and we suffered from that,” Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said. “In the second half we rectified that.”In part thanks to Wenger’s shift to a three-man defense in the second half.
WINNIPEG – Guilty or not guilty of second-degree murder are the two options a jury has been given in the trial of a man accused of killing a teenager and dumping her body in a river.Raymond Cormier, 56, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the August 2014 slaying of 15-year-old Tina Fontaine in Winnipeg.Chief Justice Glenn Joyal gave his final instructions Wednesday to the seven women and four men who will decide Cormier’s fate.“There are two distinct questions,” Joyal said. “Was Tina Fontaine’s death caused by an unlawful act? Did Raymond Cormier commit the unlawful act? The defence is saying you should say no to both.”Joyal told jurors that if they aren’t satisfied that Tina’s death was caused by an unlawful act, such as being smothered or dumped in the water while unconscious, then they must find Cormier not guilty.Only if they are satisfied her death was unlawful will jurors have to determine if Cormier was responsible.Joyal said just because the cause of Tina’s death could not be determined, that doesn’t mean her death lawful. He said evidence indicates that it is unlikely that she died of an overdose or committed suicide, since her body was wrapped in a duvet cover and weighed down by rocks.The jury has already heard that Tina was raised by her great-aunt on the Sagkeeng First Nation, 120 kilometres north of Winnipeg, but went to the city to visit her mother. Once there, her life spiralled out of control and she became an exploited youth.Court was told there were no witnesses to Tina’s death and no DNA linking her to the accused. Experts testified they don’t know how she died.Crown prosecutors said the teen was killed and dumped in the river by Cormier, because he had found out she was only 15 after having sex with her.During closing arguments, the prosecution pointed to audio recordings from a six-month undercover police investigation. Cormier was recorded telling multiple people he was attracted to Tina and had sex with her. Cormier also said he would bet that Tina was killed because “I found out she was 15 years old.”Cormier’s lawyer argued the jury must acquit his client because there was no cause of death.“For there to be a verdict in this case, it will be required for all 11 jurors to come to the same decision,” Joyal said before he sent them off to deliberate.“Jurors are judges of the facts. If you approach your deliberations calmly … you will be able to reach a just and proper verdict.”— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter
Advertisement Facebook Advertisement On Tuesday, federal authorities arrested the 21-year-old Fresno man, charging him with copyright infringement, according to a U.S. District Court grand jury indictment.The felony offense carries a sentence of up to three years in federal prison, the U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles said.Federal authorities said Franklin illegally uploaded the action flick starring actor Ryan Reynolds and posted it on his Facebook page using the screen name “Tre-Von M. King.”He is accused of reproducing and distributing at least 10 copies of “Deadpool,” the indictment said.Federal authorities estimated the total retail value of the copies was $2,500.BY: Veronica Rocha Twitter Login/Register With: Advertisement A man in Central California discovered that the Anti-Piracy Warning and message that plays before every Hollywood movie is not just for show.Just eight days after the February 2016 release of the Marvel film “Deadpool,” federal authorities said Trevon Maurice Franklin illegally uploaded it to Facebook, allowing more than 5 million people to watch it for free.It did not take long for the FBI to notice. LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment
TCI Meeting with Dominican Republic reaps five goals Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:consulate, dominican republic, governor peter beckingham Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 15 Feb 2016 – The Governor, as the country’s Foreign Affairs Minister held a successful meeting with the Dominican Republic on February 12, joined by Permanent Secretary in Border Control, Clara Gardiner. The meeting, in Santo Domingo will not only mean a possible broadening of business relations between the two countries, but it could lead to stricter measures when it comes to illegal fishing and human trafficking. Add to this, in a media statement, the Governor reports that the DR wants to open a consulate office in the Turks and Caicos and will plan a trade mission. His Excellency, Peter Beckingham reports that he told the DR Foreign Minister, His Excellency Andres Navarro, Vice Ministers, head of the Navy and other Dom Rep officials that he would consult with the Premier and Border Control Minister on these ideas. The Governor said, “This was a meaty and productive exchange, the first for many years. I am grateful to the DR Foreign Minister, Andres Navarro, for giving so much of his and his team’s time for such a high level exchange. I am delighted that the Foreign Minister intends to visit the Turks and Caicos Islands to see for himself the successes I described.” More motor mishaps; PDM Leader calls for Govt attention to illegal jitneys, again New Prison Supt & Officer of the Year Awarded