JAMESTOWN – Officials from the Jamestown Police Department are reporting that they’ve received 65 complaints of fireworks this month in the city limits. Police say the number for the entire month of June was at 31 complaints. Officials are reminding the community that the possession and use of fireworks is illegal in New York State. Section 270.00 of the New York State Penal Law (Unlawfully Dealing with Fireworks and Dangerous Fireworks) covers the offenses and potential charges that range from a violation up to a class A Misdemeanor.Changes in the New York State Law have allowed the sale and possession of sparkling devices in designated counties. They (Sparkling Devices) are legal to possess and use within Chautauqua County and the City of Jamestown. Under section 270.00, sparkling devices are defined as devices that are ground-based or hand-held devices that produce a shower of white, gold, or colored sparks as their primary pyrotechnic effect.Additional effects may include a colored frame, an audible crackling effect, an audible whistle effect, and smoke. These devices do not rise into the air, do not fire inserts or projectiles into the air, and do not explode or produce a report (an audible crackling sound is not considered a report). Ground-based or hand-held devices that produce a cloud of smoke as their sole pyrotechnic effect are also included in this category. Police say the use of any fireworks creates both a fire and safety hazard. According to the National Fire Protection Association, fireworks start an average of 19,500 fires in 2018, including 1,900 structure fires, 500 vehicle fires, and 17,100 outside and other fires. These fires caused five deaths, 46 civilian injuries, and $105 million in direct property damage. In 2018, U.S. Hospital Emergency Rooms treated an estimated 12,900 for fireworks related injuries, half of those injuries were to the extremities and 34% were to the eye or other parts of the head. Children younger than 15 years of age accounted for more than one-third (36%) of the estimated 2018 injuries.Police encourage the community members to leave the fireworks to the professionals and to attend displays if they are offered in the area during the upcoming holiday. Police also remind everyone to utilize common sense when using legal sparkling devices within the city, as they can also be dangerous if not properly handled. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Wading River man has been arrested for allegedly stabbing a Hampton Bays man during a road rage confrontation in Calverton on Easter, Riverhead town police said.Officers found Brett Penny, 48, suffering from a stab wound to the chest and left hand on Sound Avenue near Fresh Pond Road at 3:36 p.m. Sunday, police said.Penny was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he is being treated for his injuries.Michael Doroski, 25, surrendered to authorities and was charged with assault. He will be arraigned Monday at Riverhead Town Justice Court.Riverhead town police detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident to call them at 631-727-4500 Ext 332.
Wild child! Miranda Lambert set the 2020 Country Music Association Awards stage on fire with her first live performance of “Settling Down” on Wednesday, November 11.Lambert, 37, opted for a stripped down version of her hit single, captivating the audience with her acoustic rendition of the track.- Advertisement – “I was terrified to get on that stage. It was the year it was at Madison Square Garden. Not only was it my first time in New York City, but it was the CMAs,” the Texas native said in a CMAs video posted last month, reflecting on the big moment. “I had a million things going through my mind. Now, I definitely know the feel of butterflies was because I cared so much. I felt like a lot was riding on that performance. It was sort of my first time to say, ‘Hey, here’s who I am as an artist.’”Lambert’s Wednesday performance came weeks after the release of her music video for “Settling Down,” in which her husband, Brendan McLoughlin, made a cameo — and his music video debut.“I think we understand why we had him in my video,” the songstress told her fans during a live Q&A on YouTube in October, after the clip for her new song was released. “Because he’s really pretty and I needed a video babe and he was there, so I mean, it just worked out.”The Grammy winner added: “My favorite part of filming was watching my husband sort of come to life on camera. It was his video debut and he’s so sweet and humble about it, but he really killed it, so that was fun to watch.”Lambert and McLoughlin, 30, tied the knot in January 2019. The pair met two months prior on the set of Good Morning America where the former NYPD officer was working security.The country singer was married to Blake Shelton from 2011 to 2015. He announced his engagement to Gwen Stefani late last month.Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories! Ahead of the show, Lambert won Music Video of the Year for “Bluebird.”Country music’s biggest night was the first awards show of the year to be done with a real audience and to have celebrities in attendance amid the coronavirus pandemic. All others have been done virtually or without fans.Lambert, who had 13 CMA award wins heading into the night, first appeared on the iconic awards show stage 15 years ago with her 2005 performance of “Kerosene.”- Advertisement – – Advertisement – The “Vice” singer was the top nominee at the 54th annual awards show, which took place live in Nashville.Lambert received seven nods, including Best Female Vocalist, Entertainer of the Year, Album of the Year (Wildcard), Single of the Year and Song of the Year for “Bluebird.”Nominations for Musical Event of the Year and Music Video of the Year brought her career total to 51 nods, making her the most nominated female artist in the awards show’s history. The “House That Built Me” singer is the fourth highest-nominated artist of all time, behind George Strait, Alan Jackson and Brad Paisley.Miranda Lambert Mark J Terrill/AP/Shutterstock- Advertisement –
Combined with President Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric, asking about citizenship status will depress the count among immigrant communities and result in inaccurate information.In a memo explaining his reasoning, Ross admitted that adding the question could depress census participation.But he argued that asking about citizenship would impose a “limited burden” on those filling out census forms, because individual responses are anonymous.Placing the burden of proof on those objecting to the change, Ross said that “no one provided evidence that reinstating a citizenship question on the decennial census would materially decrease response rates.”But it is Ross’ responsibility to oversee a fair census. There is enough evidence, anecdotal and statistical, for serious worry about the citizenship question.Census researchers have recently noted instances of heightened concern among immigrant respondents about cooperating with the count.Immigrant response rates to the yearly American Community Survey, which asks about citizenship, are lower than nonimmigrant response rates. Even without a citizenship question, the 2010 Census overcounted the non-Hispanic population and undercounted the Hispanic population. Morever, an absence of evidence would not be proof of no harm.It was Ross’ duty to show that the harm would be acceptably limited before adding a new question. By his own admission, he failed to do so.New census forms should be and generally are thoroughly tested before rollout, a process that takes years.This question is being added hastily to the form in the midst of its first and only dry run for the 2020 count.If immigrant communities are substantially undercounted, Democrats will lose seats in Congress and in statehouses.Political districts contain equal numbers of people, citizen and noncitizen alike.Nonvoters, of course, cannot choose who represents them in Washington or in state capitals. Categories: Editorial, OpinionThe following editorial appeared in The Washington Post.The census Bureau’s once-a-decade count of the country’s population determines where federal money goes and how political power is divided among states.Whether by design or incompetence, the Trump administration is threatening to rig the count against Democrats.Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who decides what the government asks in its authoritative decennial count, announced Monday that the Census Bureau will ask respondents to report their citizenship status on the form that goes out to all U.S. households.The census is supposed to take an accurate picture of the entire country, not just of residents born or naturalized here. But minors, green-card holders and other nonvoters still count.Political representation has been apportioned according to this principle since the country’s founding.If the count is off in the urban centers where immigrants congregate, blue states will lose representation and rural areas will gain political clout even more disproportionate to the number of people who actually live in them.The state of California immediately announced a lawsuit challenging Ross’ decision.But Congress also could act.Lawmakers should prevent the Trump administration from fouling the census.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists
Experts agree that the elderly are at greater risk of dying from the coronavirus, but in Mexico dozens of centenarians have beaten the odds and overcome the disease, authorities say.While the Latin American country has registered 53,000 deaths from the virus, the survivors include at least 53 people between the age of 100 and 118.Two more are at home fighting the illness just over a week after developing symptoms. In total 78 centenarians have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Mexico, of whom 23 have died, according to official figures.One of the most surprising cases was that of a 118-year-old man from the southeastern state of Tabasco who started showing symptoms last month.He had none of the underlying conditions linked with increased risk of death from the virus and required little medical treatment.Topics :
The €6.3bn pension fund of insurance provider UWV has raised its risk profile by increasing exposure to private equity and infrastructure.According to its 2015 annual report, it also plans to increase real estate investments and holdings in commercial and residential mortgages at the expense of its euro-denominated government bond and equity allocations.The scheme said it had decided, based partly on a survey into the risk appetite of its participants, to allocate 10% of its portfolio to risk-bearing investments, adding that it had already reduced its strategic interest hedge from 60% to 50%.It estimates its policy change will increase its surplus return by 0.7 percentage points to 2.2%. The UWV scheme aims to raise the combined private equity and infrastructure allocation to 5%, with the help of asset manager Partners Group.Its property and mortgages portfolios are to account for 10% and 6% of overall assets, respectively.The scheme has placed the four asset classes in a separate portfolio that holds illiquid investments – next to its regular matching and return portfolios – specifically meant for generating returns for indexation.The Pensioenfonds UWV said it also wanted to focus on cost-saving via passive investment, pointing out that its developed-market equity, government bond, inflation-linked bond and commodities holdings were already under passive management.It said it would update its contracts with pensions provider TKP Pensioen and fiduciary asset manager Allianz Global Investors this year.Last year, it replaced Morgan Stanley as its active manager for local-currency emerging market debt (EMD) with Legal & General, which now manages the investments passively.It said it would review Aberdeen AM as active manager of its hard-currency EMD holdings after the manager underperformed last year by 4.1 percentage points. The UWV scheme posted a net return of -0.6% due largely to a 3.3% loss on its matching portfolio, as well as negative results on its interest and currency hedges.It said its strategy shift also reduced its return by 0.5 percentage points.The pension paid €152 per participant for pensions administration and spent 0.38% and 0.17% on asset management and transactions, respectively.Its funding stood at 95.7% as at the end of June.
NewsTalk ZB 8 July 2016Family First Comment: Good. Neither will weThe mother who petitioned to make it mandatory for parents to know if their children under 16 have an abortion, has pledged not to give up.Hilary Kieft’s 15-year-old daughter had an abortion at boarding school, but Ms Kieft didn’t find out about it until a year later when her daughter attempted suicide.A select committee has rejected the suggestion of mandatory notification, but agreed to strengthen post-abortion counsellingMs Kieft told Mike Hosking she’s disappointed with the decision.“I’m grateful for the minor changes they’re going to do. We still can’t protect our girls. It’s still going to carry on the same. You are going to have girls that are going to try to commit suicide and girls that will commit suicide. How then are we to help them.”Family First director Bob McCoskrie said politicians are taking power away from parents, who should have a protective factor.“The politicians have treated parents as being a potential enemy and to be treated as hostile. For some reason we should only trust professional counsellors and we shouldn’t trust parents.”READ MORE: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/mum-who-petitioned-for-abortion-law-change-wont-give-up/.
MANILA – The discrepancies in thedistribution of the financial aid under the national government’s socialamelioration program could have been solved by the national ID system, accordingto President Rodrigo Duterte. The ID will contain the PhilSys number, full name, facial image, sex, date of birth, blood type, and address of the concerned individual. The mass enrollment for the ID system will begin in mid-2020, according to the Philippine Statistics Authority./PN The DSWD plan to distribute P5,000 to P8,000 per month to 18 million Filipinos during the enhanced community quarantine is in chaos due to lack of a reliable and comprehensive database to determine who were eligible for the social amelioration program. Duterte signed the Philippine Identification System Act in 2018, which seeks to harmonize, integrate, and interconnect the countless and redundant government IDs by establishing a single national identification system. “The system should have been in place now if not for the red tape. I will urge the Senate to investigate why this is so when we resume,” Sotto said in a statement. “We passed the national ID system almost two years ago, yet it has not been implemented.” The President also said the government will conduct another rapid survey with the help of local government units to identify those who were not included in the list of the Department of Social Welfare and Development. A National ID system was pushed even during the previous administrations but all these efforts went to naught as most Filipinos felt giving up their privacy was too much to pay for the convenience and security benefits. Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Tuesday said that the snail-paced implementation of the national ID system should be investigated by the Senate once the session resumes in May. “After a revalidation at malaman na namin, I’m sure Secretary Bautista can act immediately,” Duterte said. “Kung wala ka, maghintay ka and we will come up (with something).” “Itong mga left, kaya kita mo ngayon, wala tayong ID system until now. Kung wala kayo sa listahan, then hindi kayo mabigyan. Hindi na kasalanan ‘yan, ‘wag kayong magsisi sa gobyerno,” he added. “Nagkakaroon tayo ng problema. Hindi ito perfect kaagad,” Duterte said in an address to the nation on late Monday evening. “Kung may ID system lang tayo, naiwasan natin itong mga ‘to.”
Area Girls Basketball Scores. Tuesday. (11-1)Milan 52 South Decatur 35Morristown 57 Central Christian 27
Frances McIntosh, 95, of Moores Hill passed away Sunday, August 11, 2019 at Ripley Crossing in Milan. Frances was born Tuesday, October 9, 1923 in Gray Hawk, Kentucky, the daughter of Henry and Matilda (Smith) Peters. She married Edward McIntosh March 31, 1939 and he preceded her in death June 24, 1996. She was a former member of Moores Hill Church of Christ. She was the former owner/operator of McIntosh Grocery Store in Moores Hill and former member of Moores Hill Legion Auxiliary. She enjoyed her flowers, gardening, bowling, bingo and was an avid Cincinnati Reds baseball fan.Frances is survived by sons: James (Pat) McIntosh of Decorah, Iowa, Kenneth (Cheryl) McIntosh of Rising Sun and Deron McIntosh of Dillsboro; daughter Sandy Hollitt of Milan; daughter-in-law Connie McIntosh; 11 grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren; 13 great-great grandchildren and sister May Quinn of Louisville, Kentucky. She was preceded in death by her parents, husband Edward, sons: Jerry and Ron, 1 brother, 1 sister, son-in-law Peter and 1 step-sister.A service celebrating her life will be held 11 AM Thursday, August 15, 2019 at Sibbett-Moore Funeral Home in Moores Hill with Pastor Tom Holt officiating. Burial will follow in Forest Hill Cemetery. Family and friends may gather to share and remember her 5 – 7 PM Wednesday, August 14 also at the funeral home. Memorials may be given in honor of Frances to Moores Hill Life Squad. Sibbett-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, 16717 Manchester Street, Box 156, Moores Hill, IN 47032 (812)744-3280. You may go to www.sibbettmoore.com to leave an online condolence message for the family.