An underground gas pocket exploded at a residence in Diamond, East Bank Demerara on Thursday afternoon when construction workers were drilling a hole for “domestic” purposes.The incident occurred about 17:30h at Lot 1200 Section A, Block X, Great Diamond. The house is located in a cross street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.An official from the Fire Service told Guyana Times that the owner of the house was drilling a hole for “domestic use” (reportedly a well) when the workers hit the gas pocket causing the explosion.The family was immediately ordered to vacate the property, but they returned later and were seen talking to officials from the Fire Service and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission.According to residents, the gas was spraying as high as 200 feet into the air for about an hour and a half.“After the gas stopped, a water and mud mixture started shooting up, but it stopped for like a 15 minutes and was barely spewing up. Then this thick mud substance start shooting up,” one resident said.When this publication visited the scene, the murky substance was spraying about 20 to 30 feet into the air.As the spillage continued late into the night, a shed attached to the house was torn down and the building began shaking heavily.As news of the incident spread, persons from the area began flocking the scene, with some complaining that the explosion was heard from some distance. A few years ago, a similar incident occurred in the Grove section of the scheme while homeowners were drilling a water well.
Clerk of the National Assembly, Sherlock Isaacs, said that reviewing the No- confidence Motion that was passed in the National Assembly on Friday last would be out of his jurisdiction nor can he pronounce on the validity or invalidity of said motion. On Friday he said that “it is simply his responsibility to send resolutions to the movers of the motion, which he did in the case of the No-confidence Motion.”Oh Thursday, Isaacs has confirmed the validity of the Opposition-sponsored no-confidence motion, telling Guyana Times that he has certified the vote.“Not me, period, that is not my duty,” the Clerk outlined. “Once approved, the motion becomes a resolution and I’m required to send the resolution to the mover of the motion among other persons which is what I did,” Isaacs explained.Later on, the Clerk of the National Assembly issued a letter responding to accusations he said former Alliance For Change (AFC) Member of Parliament Charrandas Persaud made against him, saying Isaacs stopped the vote during the division of the No-confidence Motion after the A Partnership for National Unity/Alliance For Change Member of Parliament said “yes”.Noting that he has always performed his duties with professionalism and impartiality, Isaacs said he actually paused “due to the uproar” after the now expelled AFC member’s vote.“Mr Charrandas Persaud may be a lawyer but Parliamentary Practice may evade him. Parliamentary Practice has taught me that when there is disruption in the House during a division, the Clerk must stop taking the division. I therefore had no option but to stop and to ensure that the vote of the member was correctly taken,” Isaacs clarified.Much of Guyana was left stunned but the dust is now settling over last week’s shock passage of the no-confidence vote against the coalition Administration which came via Persaud’s vote in favour of the motion. However, some observers are questioning the motion’s validity even as the vote has already been certified, which cleared the path for elections to be held in three months’ time.Persaud, who became a parliamentarian following the May 2015 elections said he was dissatisfied with AFC MPs being ‘yes men’. The Berbician had resigned from the party in September 2013 but would later face the media and indicate that his resignation was nonexistent.The lawyer said his vote was one of conscience since he was tired of towing party lines.Persaud left the country on Saturday morning after saying he was threatened both online and by one of his colleagues in the National Assembly. A total of 10 MPs had debated the motion and when a vote of division was called, Persaud’s vote changed the numbers to 33 in favour of the motion versus Government’s 32 votes against the motion.Government was previously confident that it would have won the vote.
WHITTIER – An 86-year-old man was robbed of $14,500 after he was conned by two men at a local shopping center, police reported Wednesday. Whittier Police Department officials said the incident occurred Tuesday at the Market Place parking lot, at Whittier Boulevard and Hadley Street. The suspects had allegedly engaged the elderly man in conversation and convinced him to get $14,500 – his life savings – from his home in exchange for a winning lotto ticket. The suspects drove the victim to his house to get the money, then took him back to the Market Place, where they robbed him at knife point. One suspect is described as a 5-foot-6-inch Latino, about 30 years old and at 160 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. The second suspect is also Latino, in his 50s, measuring 5-feet, 6 inches and at 160 pounds. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The suspects’ vehicle was a light gray, 4-door, 2005 Chevrolet sedan, with a possible partial license plate of 009. Whittier police spokeswoman Diana Salazar said the recent scam in not foreign. “It’s a very common thing where they offer lotto tickets,” Salazar said. “It’s not something that happens every week, but it happens every so often.” Anyone with information about this incident is urged to call the Whittier Police Department at (562) 945-8250.
If you have anything to add to this story, email email@example.com FORT ST JOHN, B.C. – Moose FM and energeticcity-beta.mystagingwebsite.com have received confirmation that Continental Pipeline and Facility Ltd. has decided to close.According to a notice sent to employees Friday, the shareholders and management have decided to shut down the company and send all the equipment to the upcoming Ritchie Brothers Auction in March.The notice does not provide a reason for the decision.- Advertisement -The notice goes on to say “Continental will complete all current pipeline and facility projects, but will not be accepting any new work going forward.”According to posts on social media, the company employs hundreds of people in Fort St. John.Moose FM and energeticcity-beta.mystagingwebsite.com will continue to try and reach the company for further information and an official comment. We will update this story as information becomes available.Advertisement
“I’ll be cleared to play. Then I’ll see, it depends on how things develop, it depends on my next exams…. It has not been decided,” he said.The timing leaves the world’s most expensive footballer in a tight race to feature again for PSG with the freshly crowned French champion’s season ending on May 19 with a game against Caen.However, his prospects for starring in Brazil’s much fancied side at the World Cup in Russia, which runs from June 14 to July 15, look much better. Brazil open their campaign on June 17 against Switzerland in Rostov.“I hope I won’t watch the World Cup on TV,” Neymar joked, calling the tournament a “dream”.“I will have enough time to prepare,” he said at the press conference, where he walked with crutches and his foot immobilized in a medical boot. “It’s evolving well.”With the enforced rest period Neymar added, “I will arrive better than I was before.”Neymar, 26, broke a bone in his right foot on February 25 in a Ligue 1 game against Marseille, before returning to his home country for surgery and rehabilitation.Brazil’s national team doctor Rodrigo Lasmar, performed surgery on March 3 and then estimated that Neymar would be out for “two-and-a-half to three months”.In his absence, PSG were knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid in the last 16 in March.Brazil will also face Costa Rica and Serbia in their group, as they target winning a sixth World Cup, four years after the nightmare of their 7-1 loss to Germany in the semi-finals on home soil in 2014.For now, Neymar said he spends much of his time playing poker, his “favorite pastime,” and “playing video games and going on the computer”.Not that he enjoys the couch potato experience much.“There are doubts, of course. I feel them too. But it’s normal for a guy who ended up injured. This was the first surgery in my career,” he said. “It’s really hard seeing my team score and becoming champions without me being with them.”“Still, I am more rested,” he said. “We have to look on the bright side.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Brazilian superstar Neymar out of action until at least May 17 © AFP / Nelson ALMEIDASAO PAULO, Brazil, Apr 17 – Brazilian superstar Neymar said Tuesday that he won’t be back playing at least until the second half of May, when he is scheduled to have his final medical exam following foot surgery.“There isn’t an exact date yet. I have the last exam, if I’m not mistaken, I’m not sure, on May 17,” the Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil forward told a press conference in Sao Paulo.
0Shares0000Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has returned to training following a knee injury © AFP/File / Paul ELLISLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 1 – Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne returned to training earlier than expected on Monday following a knee injury he suffered in August.Pictures appeared on De Bruyne’s and City’s official Twitter accounts showing him taking part in a session with his teammates. The Belgium international tweeted: “Back in training!”.The 27-year-old has been sidelined since injuring his knee in a training session in mid-August.City announced at the time that De Bruyne, who did not require surgery, was expected to be out for around three months.In his absence, City have climbed to the top of the Premier League, four consecutive wins taking them clear of Liverpool on goal difference.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
A huge crowd turned out to support Danny Lafferty and help save 40 jobs in CreesloughA bank is being urged to work with a struggling business in a bid to secure 40 jobs and save a local village.Lafferty Enterprises was given 100 days to get its affairs into order and to show it can trade profitably.An Examiner was appointed to two companies in Creeslough and judgement on its future is to be passed down this Thursday. Following significant work over the last number of months, proposals for Scheme of Arrangement for creditors has been prepared for Lafferty’s Supermarket, the world renowned Corncutters Rest and Lafferty Service Station in CreesloughDanny Lafferty, who runs the family business, has revealed he is retiring from the business this Friday but hopes to be able to pass the business on to his two sons.He thanked the AIB, the Revenue Commissioners, Dongeal County Council and all the suppliers who have been very supportive over the last of number of months.“I will be retiring on Friday after 43 years in business, I will be either handing the keys over to the next generation or a receiver. “The survival of the companies are are much dependent on the support of the state bodies and I hope they back the scheme otherwise it will be the State that will end up losing the most through redundancies, loss of revenue and the significant knock effect that it will have on other local business.“Jobs are very difficult to come by and even worse in Donegal, and if the scheme does not get it through other business in the village will probably have to close as well”.The Save Our Village committee say they have been humbled to have received message of support Paul McGinley, Ryder Cup Captain, whose father is from Creeslough and other well known GAA figures for Donegal and Ireland.Mr Lafferty would also like to thank the over 1,000 people that attended a local meeting and the messages of support that he has received from all over the world.The SOV (Save Our Village) Committee wish to thank in particular Mr Sean Carr of Vision Accountancy for his all help and guidance over the last number of months. D-DAY FOR CREESLOUGH AS DANNY ANNOUNCES PLANS TO RETIRE was last modified: May 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:CreesloughDanny LaffertyExaminer
“It’s tough, because we can’t match them turnout-wise, and they have the youth programs we don’t have,” Albaugh said. “There’s definitely an intimidation factor.” Needless to say, Albaugh isn’t thrilled to see Miramonte League play commence tonight although there is a bright spot to playing in the five-team league: “We really only have to win two games,” Albaugh said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “We’re hoping some teams take us lightly, and maybe we can sneak up on a couple teams.” Los Altos (4-1) and Bonita (5-0) are apparently the teams to beat, with Charter Oak (3-2) and Wilson (3-2) not far behind. Garey’s challenge is to right the ship after a 1-4 start. “From what I’ve been hearing, Los Altos is pretty tough,” Bonita coach Eric Podley said. “Charter Oak is a team to contend with, and Wilson had a pretty good preseason.” Since there are just five teams in the league, one squad takes a bye every week, with Bonita’s turn coming right away. By the time the Bearcats actually start Miramonte play, one of the top contenders – Los Altos or Charter Oak – will already have one league loss. Those two play each other tonight. Jason Albaugh is halfway through his first year as Garey’s head football coach, but Miramonte League play is nothing new to him. As a Garey assistant the six previous years, Albaugh watched teams like Los Altos, Charter Oak and Bonita storm through and beat his Vikings, time after time. Not once did Garey beat those squads. Garey, meanwhile, opens with Wilson. Albaugh said his new offense and new defense might actually help fool opposing teams. “I’m a new coach, so they don’t know what to expect when they see us,” he said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Tonight’s supermoon will look 15% bigger and 30% brighter than usual. Our moon hasn’t been this big and bright since 1948!The moon won’t appear this size, and this bright again until November 25th 2034.Tonight’s moon will also have a “low-hanging moon” effect, adding to the spectacle. Moreover, the “moon illusion” will make the moonlook much bigger if it is near the horizon. When the moon is at its closest point during its orbit around earth (called perigee), it is around 30,000 miles closer to us than when it is at its furthest point (called apogee).The moon will be visible in Irish skies from approximately 5pm.If you miss this supermoon, December’s supermoon will be visible on December 13, however it won’t be as big and bright as tonight’s one.This supermoon will give the tides a boost too – as tides are dependent on the gravitational pull of the moon. If you take any snaps of tonight’s moon and would like to share them with us email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or find us on Facebook!Look out for tonight’s biggest supermoon in 70 years! was last modified: November 14th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Tags: Fahad BayoHassan SsenyonjoJoachim OjeraJonathan McKinstryMustafa KizzaRegional TourUganda Cranes Some of the Uganda Cranes players celebrate one of their four goals on Saturday. (PHOTOS/FUFA)Regional Tour North East Region 0-4 Uganda CranesKatakwi High School Grounds, KatakwiSaturday, 09-11-2019Uganda Cranes were in beating mode as they thrashed North East in the Regional tour game played on Saturday.Mustafa Kizza, Fahad Bayo, Joackim Ojera and substitute Hassan Ssenyonjo got the goals for Jonathan McKinstry’s side.Kizza converted a penalty in the 22nd minute after Ojera was brought down in the area.Bayo doubled the lead following a mistake by goalkeeper Joshua Okwaput following an earlier back pass from Steven Oriokot to take a a 2-0 half time lead.Ojera then made it 3-0 off a headed effort from Kizza’s corner kick before Ssenyonjo wrapped up the victory.This was the first regional tour match under new coach McKinstry who took over at the start of last month.The match is part of the preparations for the national team as the 2021 AFCON qualifiers come knocking.Uganda Cranes will travel to Burkina Faso on 12th November 2019 ahead of the opening group B match the following day in Ouagadougou.Four days later, Uganda Cranes will entertain Malawi on 17th November 2019 at Mandela National Stadium, Namboole.How the Cranes lined upStarting XICharles Lukwago (GK) (KCCA), Paul Willa (Vipers), Mustafa Kizza (KCCA), Halid Lwaliwa (c) (Vipers), John Revita (KCCA), Nicholas Kasozi (KCCA), Shafiq Kagimu (URA), Bright Anukani (Proline), Allan Kayiwa (Vipers), Fahad Bayo (Vipers), Joachim Ojeera (URA)The Cranes line up before the game on Saturday.Substitutes James Alitho (URA FC), Ashraf Mandela (URA FC), Paul Mbowa (URA FC), Muzamiru Mutyaba (KCCA FC), Hassan Ssenyonjo (Wakiso Giants), Joel Madondo (Busoga United), Viane Ssekajugo (Wakiso Giants)Officials Head coach: Johnathan McKinstry1st Assistant coach: Abdallah Mubiru2nd Assistant coach: Charles Livingstone MbabaziGoal keeping coach: Fred KajobaDoctor: Emmanuel NakabagoComments