Man and woman arrested in El Centro for smuggling 40 pounds of

first_img KUSI Newsroom, Posted: July 10, 2018 KUSI Newsroom EL CENTRO (KUSI) – El Centro Sector Border Patrol agents arrested a man and a 23-year-old woman suspected of smuggling methamphetamine over the weekend, officials said.The incident happened around noon on Sunday at the Highway 86 immigration checkpoint near El Centro, Border Patrol Press Officer Ralph DeSio said.Agents found a hidden compartment in the driver and passenger side floorboards after a canine team alerted them to the cabin of the 2002 Chrysler sedan driven by the woman.The floorboards contained 40.34 pounds of methamphetamine, with an estimated street value of $133,122, DeSio said.The woman, a U.S. citizen, was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration along with the vehicle and narcotics for further investigation. July 10, 2018 Man and woman arrested in El Centro for smuggling 40 pounds of meth Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Kangana Ranaut was an actor on the sets of Mental Hai Kya

first_imgKangana RanautInstagramYesterday, media was flooded with reports stating that ‘Kangana Ranaut has been interfering with the shooting of Mental Hai Kya and that she has been unhappy with some of the scenes, which had to be re-shot, thus causing the delay in the release of the movie.However, director of Mental Hai Kya, Prakash Kovelamudi has rubbished these reports.”On my set, Kangana was an actor; a professional one, and a creative asset. Both Kangana and Rajkummar are powerhouse performers, whom I enjoyed directing. I am happy to see how their characters have turned out. Mental Hai Kya is an intriguing thriller with doses of quirk. The film challenges the norms, and I am thrilled to bring to the audience something original,” the director said in a statement.Further denying the reports about some portions of the film being re-shot, the director said, “We finished the first leg in Mumbai, the second in London, and the last one in Mumbai again. The final schedule was wrapped last month. That’s all! All other conjecture is baseless.”Produced by Shobha Kapoor, Ekta Kapoor and Shaailesh R Singh, Mental Hai Kya’s trailer is scheduled to be launched later this month and the film will hit the screens on July 26, 2019.last_img read more

Trump And Erdogan Talk But Theres Disagreement Over What Was Said

first_img Share Kayhan Ozer/APTurkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks in Ankara during the funeral prayers for Sergeant Musa Ozalkan, the first Turkish soldier to be killed in Turkey’s cross-border “Operation Olive Branch” in northern Syria, on Tuesday.President Trump, speaking to Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan Wednesday, urged Ankara to scale back its military operations in neighboring Syria following an offensive launched by Turkish forces against U.S.-backed Kurdish insurgents in Syria’s Afrin region.At least that is how the conversation about the Turkish operation, known as “Operation Olive Branch,” is being reported by the White House.Separately, though, both Reuters and Al-Jazeera quote an unnamed Turkish source as giving a substantially different account of the conversation.A readout from the White House Wednesday says Trump “relayed concerns that escalating violence in Afrin, Syria, risks undercutting our shared goals in Syria,” adding that the president “urged Turkey to deescalate, limit its military actions, and avoid civilian casualties and increases to displaced persons and refugees. He urged Turkey to exercise caution and to avoid any actions that might risk conflict between Turkish and American forces.”Reuters and Al-Jazeera report from identical statements indicating that the White House version of the call is not accurate.“President Trump did not share any ‘concerns about escalating violence’ with regard to the ongoing military operation in Afrin,” the source said, according to the news agencies.“The two leaders’ discussion of Operation Olive Branch was limited to an exchange of views,” the source said.The White House statement also said: “President Trump also expressed concern about destructive and false rhetoric coming from Turkey, and about United States citizens and local employees detained under the prolonged State of Emergency in Turkey.”However, Al-Jazeera reports:“[The] Turkish official denied there was any mention of the state of emergency or the phrase ‘destructive and false rhetoric coming from Turkey.’” ‘[Trump] mentioned that open criticism of the United States raised concerns in Washington,’ according to the source.”Anadolu Agency/Getty ImagesTurkish military tanks are prepared for deployment as part of the “Operation Olive Branch” to Syrian border in Hatay, Turkey, on Thursday.NPR’s Peter Kenyon, speaking with Morning Edition from Istanbul, observes that “Ankara’s version of this exact same call is remarkably different, basically accusing the U.S. of misstating the content of what was said.”He says, “It’s the latest in a series of disagreements. It’s just the latest sign that anti-American sentiment here is running stronger than it has in years. Meanwhile, you’ve got some conservatives in the U.S. questioning whether Turkey even belongs in NATO anymore.”Reporting earlier this week, Peter said Turkey’s offensive, which pits Turkey against U.S.-backed Kurds fighting ISIS, has “alarmed several countries and led to an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council.”“The fighting has thrown a spotlight on the confusing and at times conflicting alliances and goals in the U.S.-led anti-ISIS coalition,” Peter says.On Tuesday, Turkey said it had killed 260 Syrian Kurdish fighters four days into its offensive. Washington has expressed concern over the hundreds of thousands of civilians who could be caught in the crossfire.Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.last_img read more

Schools Not Prisons Security Lessons From Rebuilding Sandy Hook Elementary

first_img Share Gabriel Cristóver Pérez/KUT NewsIn the aftermath of the Sante Fe school shooting, some state leaders have questioned whether the design of public schools could be changed to improve security.In the months and years after a gunman killed 28 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, their community embarked on the painful and painstaking task of tearing down the old building and starting over. In the process, they built not just a new school, but a high-tech security marvel.Phil Santore is the vice president and managing principal of the Connecticut-based security and consulting firm DVS. The company was lead security consultant when the new Sandy Hook Elementary was built.Santore says that consulting engineers juggled many different voices during the rebuilding project – families of victims, law enforcement, local elected officials and state legislators – as they developed a strategy.“The first component was maintaining the mission of the school, and that’s the educational mission,” Santore says. “The first thing we had to remember was this is a school and there’s going to be seven-year-olds walking through these doors and we didn’t want them walking into something that felt like a prison. That was a real key driver in everything we needed to do.”After that, Santore says they focused on managing traffic, securing the physical perimeter of the building and hardening the facility with better locks. He says the design was a tricky balancing act.“Remember, we’re not trying to build Fort Knox,” he says. “We’re trying to buy enough time until law enforcement arrives.”One strategy in the redesign was to looks at potential threats and vulnerabilities, then working to reduce those risks.“For an example,” he says, “at Sandy Hook all the classrooms are in the back side of the school, if you will. So if someone did get onto the property and drove past the front of the school and did a drive by shooting, their chance of hitting a student would be much, much less than if the classrooms were in, say, the front of it or by the roadway.”The school is also designed to control who comes in and out of the building by managing the perimeter of the building. That can be costly.“That’s a problem everywhere,” he says. “I’ve not run into a public school that doesn’t have a budget issue.”Still, he says schools need to invest in good locks, good doors, and good management of those doors. Lastly, he says, schools should work on designing quick communication systems both inside and outside of the school in the event of an incident.Written by Jen Rice.last_img read more

Tinkerbell and Bob the Builder removed from flight for being unruly

first_imgTags: Disney, Ryanair, Stanstead Share Posted by Monday, August 20, 2018 Tinkerbell and Bob the Builder removed from flight for being unrulycenter_img << Previous PostNext Post >> Travelweek Group KRAKOW — Tinkerbell has had it up to here with flying, so it seems.A man dressed as the beloved Disney character – green dress, fairy wings and all – was recently escorted off a Ryanair flight by armed police for disruptive behaviour.But here’s the real kicker: Tinkerbell’s companion, Bob the Builder, was also kicked off the plane.The flight was due to take off from Stansted airport to Krakow, Poland last Friday when an unruly Tink “threatened to cut everyone up”, wrote Dan May, a fellow passenger, on Twitter. The unidentified male, who according to reports was on a stag party trip to Krakow, was soon escorted off the plane.Our flight to Krakow hasn’t taken off yet because a man dressed as Tinkerbell has threatened to cut everyone up. This is why you don’t fly Ryanair from Stansted.— Dan May (@dpmay) August 17, 2018According to witnesses, one officer adjusted the man’s wings before arresting him and taking him off the plane with his companion, who was dressed in a Bob the Builder outfit.More news:  Beep, beep! Transat hits the streets with Cubamania truckA Ryanair spokesman said: “Police removed and detained two passengers ahead of this flight from London Stansted to Krakow who were disruptive, before the aircraft departed to Krakow. We will not tolerate unruly or disruptive behaviour at any time and the safety and comfort of our customers, crew and aircraft is our number one priority. This is now a matter for local police.”The incident has renewed calls for implementing a two-drink limit per passenger and no alcohol sales before 10 a.m. at airports.“It’s incumbent on the airports to introduce these preventative measures to curb excessive drinking and the problems it creates, rather than allowing passengers to drink to excess before their flights,” the spokesperson added.The plane departed for Krakow after a short delay. We’re guessing Tinkerbell had to get there the good ol’ fashioned way – with pixie dust.last_img read more