Ex-Germany international Dietmar Hamann doubts Bayern Munich would be able to beat Liverpool in the Champions League knockout stagesNiko Kovac’s side finished top of Group E following their 3-3 draw at Ajax on Wednesday night with Bayern only dropping points twice in their six games.But Hamann, who won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and started his playing career at Bayern, reckons the German club must hope they do not get drawn against the Reds for a last-16 tie.“Liverpool and Atletico [Madrid] are the strongest of the teams that ended in second place,” Hamann wrote on his column for Sky.Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“What Liverpool showed was amazingly impressive once again. Klopp and his team are the last opponents I’d want to face.“I think Bayern would have little chance against them in the round of 16. For me, Bayern are not in the extended circle of favourites for the first time in many years.“The Reds lost three games away from home and still progressed. Sometimes, such things trigger something very special in a team.”The draw for the last-16 stage of the 2018/19 Champions League will be made on Monday at 12:00 (CET).
Rohingya refugee. File PhotoUN officials have condemned a deal struck between Myanmar and Bangladesh to start repatriating Rohingya refugees, apparently for failure to involve the UN refugee body with the process.The Guardian newspaper quoted the UN refugee agency confirming they have not been consulted about the plan.The UNHCR reportedly said, conditions in Myanmar’s Rakhine state is ‘not yet conducive’ for return of Rohingyas who fled their homeland following crackdown by the Myanmar military.The Guardian mentioned that Bangladesh and Myanmar government officials announced this week they had struck a “very concrete” repatriation deal for the return of the 720,000 Rohingya refugees.Myanmar officials, according to the report, said on Wednesday they had verified 5,000 Rohingya refugees so far, with the “first batch” of 2,000 to be repatriated in the next month.Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesman for the UN secretary general, António Guterres, was quoted to have said that the deal had taken the UN high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR) by surprise.“To be clear … UNHCR, which is in lead on the issues of refugees, was not consulted on this matter,” Dujarric said at the daily press briefing given by the secretary general’s office.Chris Melzer, the UNHCR’s senior external officer based in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, reiterated this, saying: “UNHCR was not a party to that agreement, wrote the British newspaper.“We would advise against imposing any timetable or target figures for repatriation in respect of the voluntary nature and sustainability of return,” added Melzer.“It is unclear if refugees know their names are on this list that has been cleared by Myanmar. They need to be informed. They also need to be consulted if they are willing to return … It is critical that returns are not rushed or premature.”Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya have been living in cramped refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar for more than a year after fleeing rape, murder and arson in Rakhine state at the hands of the Myanmar military, the report pointed out.The Myanmar government signed an agreement with the UNHCR in June that they would work with the UN to create “safe and dignified” conditions for the return of the Rohingya to Rakhine, including guaranteeing security, freedom of movement and pathway to citizenship.The Guardian said none of these assurances have been made by the Myanmar government so far and the UNHCR has only been given restricted access to Rakhine state.“For UNHCR, the conditions in Rakhine state are not yet conducive for a return to Myanmar,” said Dujarric. “And, at the same time, we’re seeing Rohingya refugees continue to arrive from Rakhine state into [Bangladesh], which should give you an indication of the situation on the ground.”Bangladesh has handed Myanmar a list of 24,342 refugees whom they have cleared for repatriation, but details of the logistics and precise date of the repatriation are unclear, the report said.It added that the issue of consent and possible forced repatriation has also been raised, with Rohingya in Cox’s Bazar saying they were fearful of going back and had never been asked whether they wanted to return.Myanmar officials, including Myint Thu, the permanent secretary at Myanmar’s ministry of foreign affairs, visited the camps in Cox’s Bazar on Wednesday and were greeted by hundreds of Rohingya protestors who held placards demanding citizenship and security, according to media report.“We are here to meet with the people from the camps so that I can explain what we have prepared for their return and then I can listen to their voices,” Myint Thu was quoted to have said.Safiullah, who was among the refugees who met the Myanmar members, had asked whether the Rohingya would be able to return to their own villages and get back their confiscated land and other properties but “the Burmese officials did not give me an answer”.“I will not return to Myanmar even if the authorities enlist me for repatriation. I am sure this is the view of almost all Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh,” he was quoted to have said.Suktara Begum, a Rohingya refugee woman who spoke to Myint Thu on his visit to the camps, said: “They came to meet us today simply because of pressure from the international community. They have not taken one step to meet our demands in so many months. They are not serious about our return to our homes. We do not trust them.”
For the latest news and breaking news visit www.stokeontrentlive.co.uk Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you. Follow us on Twitter @SOTLive – the official Sentinel account – real news in real time. We’re also on Facebook – your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire. Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us @SOTLive or message us on our Facebook page . And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at StokeonTrentLive . Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailMotorists are being advised to take care this afternoon as heavy rain is forecast across the area. Police in the Staffordshire Moorlands say a number of roads are starting to flood in the area – while Stoke-on-Trent City Council is also urging people to take extra care in the wet conditions. A Moorlands Police spokesman said: “Be careful on the roads in the Staffordshire Moorlands. Rain forecasted all afternoon and we’re beginning to see a number of roads starting to flood.” We have no information on which roads are affected at this stage. A Stoke-on-Trent City Council spokesman added: “It’s raining, it’s pouring. Avoid driving through flood water. Just 30cm of moving water can float an average family-sized car – it’s even less for smaller cars.” The latest Met Office weather forecast for the region states: “This morning will be mild and breezy with persistent, occasionally heavy rain. Rain will ease for the afternoon but it will stay rather damp and grey. Maximum temperature 11 °C. “The evening and night will be cloudy and mainly dry apart from some patchy fog and drizzle over high ground. Minimum temperature 8 °C.” Read More