KUSI Newsroom, Posted: July 10, 2018 KUSI Newsroom EL CENTRO (KUSI) – El Centro Sector Border Patrol agents arrested a man and a 23-year-old woman suspected of smuggling methamphetamine over the weekend, officials said.The incident happened around noon on Sunday at the Highway 86 immigration checkpoint near El Centro, Border Patrol Press Officer Ralph DeSio said.Agents found a hidden compartment in the driver and passenger side floorboards after a canine team alerted them to the cabin of the 2002 Chrysler sedan driven by the woman.The floorboards contained 40.34 pounds of methamphetamine, with an estimated street value of $133,122, DeSio said.The woman, a U.S. citizen, was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Administration along with the vehicle and narcotics for further investigation. July 10, 2018 Man and woman arrested in El Centro for smuggling 40 pounds of meth Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Quebecor’s European operations produce magazines, catalogs, retail inserts, direct mail products and directories. They include 17 printing and related facilities employing approximately 3,500 people in Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Spain and Sweden.The sale is not subject to the approval of either Quebecor World’s or HHBV’s shareholders. The only condition to closing, according to Quebecor, is court approval. Quebecor World has agreed to sell its European operations to a group of Netherlands-based investors, the Hombergh/De Pundert Group, for more than $200 million. The transaction is expected to close in June.According to Quebecor World CEO Jacques Mallette, the sale is “an important step in our restructuring activities that we believe should enable us to exit creditor protection in North America as a stronger player in our industry.”Earlier this year, Quebecor filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that it had entered into a $1 billion financing deal with Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley. Under the terms of the acquisition, HHBV has deposited nearly $80 million in escrow to be released to Quebecor once the deal is finalized. HHBV also will assume about $100 million of net debt, and a $33.5 million five-year note bearing interest at 7 percent per year, which will be payable to Quebecor World following finalization of the deal.
That didn’t do much to sway readers, who feel passionately about the topic and understandably felt fleeced. On Monday, VegNews issued a full apology, saying “With regard to our use of symbolic imagery in VegNews, our readers got it right. We wholeheartedly apologize. We assure you that we will never again use non-vegan photographs in VegNews.” The publishers say they will also build a vegan photo data bank. “To give you some background, 95 percent of all photos in VegNews are indeed vegan,” associate publisher Colleen Holland told FOLIO:. “In the rare situations that we’ve had to make the tough call on using a non-vegan stock image, we’ve taken it very seriously. We exhaust all of our possible options, and ensure that a vegan version looks exactly the same or better than the image we’re really considering using. It really is a last resort at that point.” In one example, VegNews photoshopped a plate of barbecue ribs to make them look like their vegan counterpart. “This was an 11th hour decision after an exhaustive photo search,” says Holland. “It was a singular case, we knew the vegan version looked exactly the same, and the photo used in the magazine was 2×2 inches. That was an absolute anomaly and something we didn’t do before or since. It goes without saying that our goal has always been to have 100 percent vegan photography.”That said, “We never expected this reaction,” says Holland. “And had we ever felt that readers would be so strongly opposed to the practice, we wouldn’t have done it. But our readers spoke and we listened, and they are happy we’re figuring out a way to increase the number from 95 percent to 100 percent.” Photoshop controversies are nothing new among magazines, usually in the context of some celebrity digitally shaving a pound or ten for a cover shoot. Last week VegNews, an independent vegan magazine, was called out by a blogger for using stock images of dishes with meat and other non-vegan recipes, sometimes photoshopping out the offending images. “We’ve always been fans of VegNews, since back in the mid-2000s when we’d wait with bated breath for the US Mail to deliver our copy,” the blogger writes. “We’d eagerly flip through, reading all about the latest veg stuff, salivating over the amazing pictures, trying out a vegan recipe, and maybe even discovering a restaurant in our home town through one of their reviews. It’s sad, then, that the pictures we’ve been drooling over for years are actually of MEAT! Veg News has written tens (possibly hundreds) of articles extolling the virtues of a vegan lifestyle, while purchasing rock-bottom priced stock photos of MEAT, EGGS, DAIRY and other completely non-vegan things.”The magazine’s initial response was that it was “deeply saddened with the dialogue” that transpired and explained that the photos were a necessary evil. “VegNews is a privately owned, independent publication with no funding or investors,” the publishers replied. “Publishing a magazine is extremely costly-with exorbitant costs for printing, postage, paper and production. . .Yes, from time to time, after exhausting all options, we have resorted to using stock photography that may or may not be vegan.” Getting a magazine out as an independent publisher these days is no small feat, but there’s no excuse for deliberately putting one past your audience; just as there is no excuse for lifting someone else’s work (which Countryside Publications was accused of last year for running photos without permission; or the infamous Cook’s Source, which did the same with content). No matter how tight things get, you can’t do it in the first place. And if you do, in these days of the long tail and readers having their own voices, you’re not going to get away with it forever.On the VegNews Facebook page, readers are split in their reaction, with most seeming to accept the apology, while a minority staunchly reject it. The brand is likely to lose some readers, but overall the magazine probably won’t be hurt too bad because it owned up. As a business, VegNews could be an inspiration to smaller publishers. What started with an investment of $3,000 in 2000 has grown to a company with more than $2 million in revenue and a readership of more than 1 million per month. At FOLIO:, we even recognized them with an Eddy Award for their Web site earlier this year. Everybody is cutting corners these days; but go too far, and both publisher and reader end up the losers.
Trolling can never be justified. Celebs often have to go through virtual attacks by trolls over some of the most insane and absurd reasons. Take a look.Meeting PM Modi: Priyanka Chopra had a brief meeting with PM Modi in Berlin last year. While what they discussed remains unknown, a certain section on Twitter started trolling the actress for her ‘indecent dress’. As a comeback and in a major burn to the haters, Priyanka shared another picture with her mother showing off their long legs.For napping on hubby Nick’s chest: Soon after her wedding, Priyanka shared an adorable photo with hubby Nick Jonas where she was clicked sleeping on his chest. Trolls had a field day asking if Priyanka has hired a photographer that follows her everywhere, including the couple’s bedroom. Talking about the trolling on Jimmy Fallon’s show, Priyanka said, “I mean, don’t you guys ever go out with friends and you’re sitting with a bunch of friends, and you do something cute and another friend takes a picture? We were like eight of us sitting and watching the Super Bowl. I fell asleep and she took a picture. She was like, ‘You’re probably the first person who fell asleep during the Super Bowl’.”Photo-shopped arm-pits: The cover of Maxim magazine’s June-July issue featuring Priyanka Chopra drew flak for photo shopping her armpit. However, Priyanka gave it back to the haters with another picture showing off her arm-pits.Smoking: Recently, a picture of Priyanka Chopra smoking along with mother Madhu Chopra and husband Nick Jonas on a yacht during a vacation in Miami surfaced online. Netizens started trolling the actress for smoking despite being asthmatic, as claimed by Priyanka herself.Age gap with Nick Jonas: Priyanka Chopra has often been trolled with tags like ‘mom’ and ‘aunty’ for the age difference between her and husband Nick. Addressing the same, Priyanka had said, “I find it really amazing when you flip it and the guy is older, no one cares and actually people like it.”
Some of Bitcoin enthusiast Mike Caldwell’s coins are pictured at his office in Sandy, Utah, September 17, 2013.REUTERS/Jim UrquhartReutersNearly 17,000 Indians have signed a petition challenging the central bank’s decision to end dealings with crypto-related accounts.A Change.org petition for “Mak[ing] India at the forefront of Blockchain Applications Revolution” was filed online on April 5 after the Reserve Bank of India banned all financial firms from dealing with or providing services to any individuals or business entities dealing with or settling virtual currencies.”This is clearly stifling innovation around blockchain. If a government does not facilitate adoption of new technology, the country stands to left behind,” the petition reads.According to the petition, the RBI’s decision – which tech investor Tim Draper had recently called “a huge mistake” – could lead to an increase of irregular cash trading of cryptocurrencies in India.It would also lead to a knee-jerk reaction in the prices of cryptocurrencies, resulting in millions of Indians losing their hard earned money.The price of bitcoin plummeted to a low of Rs 350,000 ($5,392) versus its international market price of $6,617, following the RBI announcement.The petition notes the inevitability of Blockchain development globally and calls on the Indian government to remain competitive with other countries on the issue so as to not be “left behind”.Crypto exchanges and blockchain companies have profitable business models and can give a massive share of revenue to the government who is welcoming. Not only that crypto exchanges and traders are extremely compliant with stringent KYC norms and have already complied mentioning all their trade details. the petition said.Many bitcoin exchanges, including Zebpay and Unocoin, are looking to move their headquarters to jurisdictions outside India following the central bank’s clamp down on cryptocurrencies.
Share Kayhan Ozer/APTurkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks in Ankara during the funeral prayers for Sergeant Musa Ozalkan, the first Turkish soldier to be killed in Turkey’s cross-border “Operation Olive Branch” in northern Syria, on Tuesday.President Trump, speaking to Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan Wednesday, urged Ankara to scale back its military operations in neighboring Syria following an offensive launched by Turkish forces against U.S.-backed Kurdish insurgents in Syria’s Afrin region.At least that is how the conversation about the Turkish operation, known as “Operation Olive Branch,” is being reported by the White House.Separately, though, both Reuters and Al-Jazeera quote an unnamed Turkish source as giving a substantially different account of the conversation.A readout from the White House Wednesday says Trump “relayed concerns that escalating violence in Afrin, Syria, risks undercutting our shared goals in Syria,” adding that the president “urged Turkey to deescalate, limit its military actions, and avoid civilian casualties and increases to displaced persons and refugees. He urged Turkey to exercise caution and to avoid any actions that might risk conflict between Turkish and American forces.”Reuters and Al-Jazeera report from identical statements indicating that the White House version of the call is not accurate.“President Trump did not share any ‘concerns about escalating violence’ with regard to the ongoing military operation in Afrin,” the source said, according to the news agencies.“The two leaders’ discussion of Operation Olive Branch was limited to an exchange of views,” the source said.The White House statement also said: “President Trump also expressed concern about destructive and false rhetoric coming from Turkey, and about United States citizens and local employees detained under the prolonged State of Emergency in Turkey.”However, Al-Jazeera reports:“[The] Turkish official denied there was any mention of the state of emergency or the phrase ‘destructive and false rhetoric coming from Turkey.’” ‘[Trump] mentioned that open criticism of the United States raised concerns in Washington,’ according to the source.”Anadolu Agency/Getty ImagesTurkish military tanks are prepared for deployment as part of the “Operation Olive Branch” to Syrian border in Hatay, Turkey, on Thursday.NPR’s Peter Kenyon, speaking with Morning Edition from Istanbul, observes that “Ankara’s version of this exact same call is remarkably different, basically accusing the U.S. of misstating the content of what was said.”He says, “It’s the latest in a series of disagreements. It’s just the latest sign that anti-American sentiment here is running stronger than it has in years. Meanwhile, you’ve got some conservatives in the U.S. questioning whether Turkey even belongs in NATO anymore.”Reporting earlier this week, Peter said Turkey’s offensive, which pits Turkey against U.S.-backed Kurds fighting ISIS, has “alarmed several countries and led to an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council.”“The fighting has thrown a spotlight on the confusing and at times conflicting alliances and goals in the U.S.-led anti-ISIS coalition,” Peter says.On Tuesday, Turkey said it had killed 260 Syrian Kurdish fighters four days into its offensive. Washington has expressed concern over the hundreds of thousands of civilians who could be caught in the crossfire.Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.
Share Gabriel Cristóver Pérez/KUT NewsIn the aftermath of the Sante Fe school shooting, some state leaders have questioned whether the design of public schools could be changed to improve security.In the months and years after a gunman killed 28 people at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, their community embarked on the painful and painstaking task of tearing down the old building and starting over. In the process, they built not just a new school, but a high-tech security marvel.Phil Santore is the vice president and managing principal of the Connecticut-based security and consulting firm DVS. The company was lead security consultant when the new Sandy Hook Elementary was built.Santore says that consulting engineers juggled many different voices during the rebuilding project – families of victims, law enforcement, local elected officials and state legislators – as they developed a strategy.“The first component was maintaining the mission of the school, and that’s the educational mission,” Santore says. “The first thing we had to remember was this is a school and there’s going to be seven-year-olds walking through these doors and we didn’t want them walking into something that felt like a prison. That was a real key driver in everything we needed to do.”After that, Santore says they focused on managing traffic, securing the physical perimeter of the building and hardening the facility with better locks. He says the design was a tricky balancing act.“Remember, we’re not trying to build Fort Knox,” he says. “We’re trying to buy enough time until law enforcement arrives.”One strategy in the redesign was to looks at potential threats and vulnerabilities, then working to reduce those risks.“For an example,” he says, “at Sandy Hook all the classrooms are in the back side of the school, if you will. So if someone did get onto the property and drove past the front of the school and did a drive by shooting, their chance of hitting a student would be much, much less than if the classrooms were in, say, the front of it or by the roadway.”The school is also designed to control who comes in and out of the building by managing the perimeter of the building. That can be costly.“That’s a problem everywhere,” he says. “I’ve not run into a public school that doesn’t have a budget issue.”Still, he says schools need to invest in good locks, good doors, and good management of those doors. Lastly, he says, schools should work on designing quick communication systems both inside and outside of the school in the event of an incident.Written by Jen Rice.