Another Independent Publisher Burned by Photo Mishap

first_imgThat didn’t do much to sway readers, who feel passionately about the topic and understandably felt fleeced. On Monday, VegNews issued a full apology, saying “With regard to our use of symbolic imagery in VegNews, our readers got it right. We wholeheartedly apologize. We assure you that we will never again use non-vegan photographs in VegNews.” The publishers say they will also build a vegan photo data bank. “To give you some background, 95 percent of all photos in VegNews are indeed vegan,” associate publisher Colleen Holland told FOLIO:. “In the rare situations that we’ve had to make the tough call on using a non-vegan stock image, we’ve taken it very seriously. We exhaust all of our possible options, and ensure that a vegan version looks exactly the same or better than the image we’re really considering using. It really is a last resort at that point.” In one example, VegNews photoshopped a plate of barbecue ribs to make them look like their vegan counterpart. “This was an 11th hour decision after an exhaustive photo search,” says Holland. “It was a singular case, we knew the vegan version looked exactly the same, and the photo used in the magazine was 2×2 inches. That was an absolute anomaly and something we didn’t do before or since. It goes without saying that our goal has always been to have 100 percent vegan photography.”That said, “We never expected this reaction,” says Holland. “And had we ever felt that readers would be so strongly opposed to the practice, we wouldn’t have done it. But our readers spoke and we listened, and they are happy we’re figuring out a way to increase the number from 95 percent to 100 percent.”   Photoshop controversies are nothing new among magazines, usually in the context of some celebrity digitally shaving a pound or ten for a cover shoot. Last week VegNews, an independent vegan magazine, was called out by a blogger for using stock images of dishes with meat and other non-vegan recipes, sometimes photoshopping out the offending images. “We’ve always been fans of VegNews, since back in the mid-2000s when we’d wait with bated breath for the US Mail to deliver our copy,” the blogger writes. “We’d eagerly flip through, reading all about the latest veg stuff, salivating over the amazing pictures, trying out a vegan recipe, and maybe even discovering a restaurant in our home town through one of their reviews. It’s sad, then, that the pictures we’ve been drooling over for years are actually of MEAT! Veg News has written tens (possibly hundreds) of articles extolling the virtues of a vegan lifestyle, while purchasing rock-bottom priced stock photos of MEAT, EGGS, DAIRY and other completely non-vegan things.”The magazine’s initial response was that it was “deeply saddened with the dialogue” that transpired and explained that the photos were a necessary evil. “VegNews is a privately owned, independent publication with no funding or investors,” the publishers replied. “Publishing a magazine is extremely costly-with exorbitant costs for printing, postage, paper and production. . .Yes, from time to time, after exhausting all options, we have resorted to using stock photography that may or may not be vegan.” Getting a magazine out as an independent publisher these days is no small feat, but there’s no excuse for deliberately putting one past your audience; just as there is no excuse for lifting someone else’s work (which Countryside Publications was accused of last year for running photos without permission; or the infamous Cook’s Source, which did the same with content). No matter how tight things get, you can’t do it in the first place. And if you do, in these days of the long tail and readers having their own voices, you’re not going to get away with it forever.On the VegNews Facebook page, readers are split in their reaction, with most seeming to accept the apology, while a minority staunchly reject it. The brand is likely to lose some readers, but overall the magazine probably won’t be hurt too bad because it owned up. As a business, VegNews could be an inspiration to smaller publishers. What started with an investment of $3,000 in 2000 has grown to a company with more than $2 million in revenue and a readership of more than 1 million per month. At FOLIO:, we even recognized them with an Eddy Award for their Web site earlier this year. Everybody is cutting corners these days; but go too far, and both publisher and reader end up the losers.last_img read more

CHVRCHES Drop New Single My Enemy With The Nationals Matt Berninger

first_img Listen: CHVRCHES New Single “My Enemy” chvrches-drop-new-single-my-enemy-nationals-matt-berninger News Twitter CHVRCHES Drop New Single “My Enemy” With The National’s Matt Berninger Hear the Scottish synth-pop band’s new single “My Enemy”Brian HaackGRAMMYs Feb 28, 2018 – 5:30 pm Matt Berninger, lead singer for the GRAMMY-winning alternative rock band The National made a surprising cameo in the music video for “Get Out,” the lead single from CHVRCHES forthcoming third album Love Is Dead. With the album’s May 25 release date fast approaching, the Glasgow, Scotland-based electropop act have brought Berninger back around as a featured vocalist on their new album’s second single “My Enemy.””We’ve all been huge fans of The National for a long time,” CHVRCHES singer Lauren Mayberry explained to NME, detailing that the two bands had shared a few festival billings together before becoming close while working on releases for Berninger’s 7-Inches For Planned Parenthood fundraising initiative.”[W]hen it came time to record ‘My Enemy,’ Iain [Cook] and Martin [Doherty] suggested I email Matt to see if he’d like to sing on it,” Mayberry adds. “We never realistically thought he’d have time to do it but he replied right away and recorded the track at his house the next day.”The resulting collaboration touches all the right notes of CHVRCHES trademark sound: it’s lyrically lush and sonically layered enough to wow crowds at festival stages, but also packed with hooks and catchy vocal melodies that should play well on radio and streaming platforms.center_img Email Facebook On the subject of the new album as a whole, Mayberry revealed that Love Is Dead is about, “coming to terms with the fact that there are great things in the world and there are awful things in the world and that you can’t get one without the other.”Pulling no punches in his own description of the new record, CHVRCHES’ guitarist and producer Iain Cook added, “we’re f*****, the world is f*****. But there’s an ellipses at the end. …Like, how did we get to this point? And how do we move on from this point? It’s ‘Love Is Dead, we’re f*****, what’s next?'”Getting The Latest Music News Just Got Easier. Introducing: GRAMMY Bot. Find it On KIK and Facebook MessengerRead morelast_img read more

GM in talks to sell Lordstown to Workhorse for EV pickups while

first_img More From Roadshow Enlarge ImageThe last Chevy Cruze to roll off the line came from Lordstown on March 6. General Motors When General Motors in November announced a Thanos snap’s worth of vehicle cuts, plant idles and layoffs, there were a lot of unanswered questions. This week, GM seeks to provide at least some closure with news of a potential sale and the addition of jobs in an area that was affected by The Decimation.General Motors announced on Wednesday that it is in talks to sell its Lordstown Complex in Ohio. GM is currently discussing the idea with Workhorse Group, a company that has supplied green vehicles to UPS and hopes to offer even more electrified work vehicles in the future. But the complex wouldn’t be sold directly to Workhorse, per se — instead, Workhorse’s founder is leading an independent entity that would purchase the facility, with Workhorse commanding a minority interest in said business entity.So, what’ll be built there? According to Steve Burns, Workhorse’s founder, it’ll be new, electric and a truck: “The first vehicle we would plan to build if we were to purchase the Lordstown Complex would be a commercial electric pickup, blending Workhorse’s technology with Lordstown’s manufacturing expertise,” Burns said in a statement. GM’s statement says the facility could start being converted to produce Workhorse vehicles as soon as all parties come to an agreement, which has not been finalized as of this writing.In 2018, Workhorse and UPS announced that the manufacturer would supply UPS with 50 plug-in hybrid delivery vans. Workhorse has also unveiled the W-15 electric pickup, which it brought to CES 2018, toting a gasoline range extender that aims to minimize charging downtime on the job. It’s also unveiled the N-Gen, a last-mile electric delivery van that packs an optional delivery drone.At the same time, GM said it was investing approximately $700 million in its other Ohio manufacturing facilities, which the automaker said should create about 450 new manufacturing jobs. The DMAX facility in Moraine will start building more diesel engines for next-gen heavy-duty pickups, the Toledo Transmission plant will boost production of GM’s 10-speed automatic transmission and its Parma Metal Center will increase stamped-part production. The automaker noted that hourly employees at unallocated plants (like Lordstown) can request a transfer to one of these new jobs, and that more than 1,350 employees have already taken transfers to other plants with union representation. Preview • 2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison: An off-road animal Post a comment 0 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Check out the aggressive W-15 electric pickup truck at CES 2018 11 Photos 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous Tags More about 2019 Chevrolet Colorado 2WD Ext Cab 128.3″ Base 2019 Kia K900: The best luxury sedan you’ve never heard of Share your voice Car Industry Electric Cars Trucks Future Cars General Motorslast_img read more

Will Virat Kohli drop Rohit Sharma Big changes expected for 3rd T20I

first_imgThe series triumph in Florida has given Indian team the cushion to try new faces for the third T20I in Guyana, said captain Virat Kohli. The selectors have included a number of young players in the squad, forcing Kohli to make a couple of decisions. On the face of it, Rohit Sharma could be rested because he has been on the move for almost six months. A break is also not expected to hinder with his imperious form. The decision will also allow KL Rahul to be slotted back as the opener in the format which he has dominated.Dhawan needs to find form Twitter/Cricket World CupShikhar Dhawan could be given another game as the left-hander is trying to hit his stride and find form ahead of the ODI series. Kohli could rest Manish Pandey and give Shreyas Iyer a go as both the players will form an important cog in India’s middle-order. Iyer has been in good form and this is when he should be tested out.Rishabh Pant has only underperformed in two matches so far. But since he is the only primary wicket-keeper in the squad, he could get in another game and perhaps, could be bumped up the other to find some form. Rishabh PantAlbert Perez/Getty ImagesAs far as the bowling attack is concerned, Bhuvneshwar Kumar could be rested because he is a proven performer. This opens the door for Deepak Chahar. The fast bowler was a bank for MS Dhoni in the IPL and after a horrendous debut, this could be his chance to stake a claim for more opportunities.The management could also rest Ravindra Jadeja and hand a debut to young Rahul Chahar as his wrist spin needs to be tested. The series is sealed and Jadeja has been consistent all the while. Thus, there is an opportunity to give Rahul Chahar a go.Krunal Pandya has shown great promise in the two matches so far and hence, the management should be confident of him shouldering the responsibility of the primary all-rounder in the side. This will also allow Krunal to be more expressive when he comes out to bat.last_img read more

Karaoke bar blaze kills 15 in central Myanmar

first_imgAt least 15 people have died after a fire ripped through a karaoke bar in central Myanmar, trapping revellers inside singing rooms filled with poisonous smoke.Eleven men and four women died when the blaze consumed the top floor of the Shwe Myat Min Thamee KTV bar in the town of Magway, northwest of the capital Naypyidaw, on Sunday night.A local fire official said the electrical system had apparently overheated and set fire to the sound-proof lining inside the singing rooms.”All those killed were inside KTV rooms at the time … It seems the wires became hot and started burning the foam,” Magway region fire department director Aung Win Sein told AFP on Monday.The four women who were killed were all said to be workers at the bar.Police have opened two cases against the bar owner for negligence.Karaoke bars are popular in Myanmar, where many also serve as fronts for illegal brothels.last_img read more

UN deplores Myanmar Bangladesh deal on Rohingyas

first_imgRohingya refugee. File PhotoUN officials have condemned a deal struck between Myanmar and Bangladesh to start repatriating Rohingya refugees, apparently for failure to involve the UN refugee body with the process.The Guardian newspaper quoted the UN refugee agency confirming they have not been consulted about the plan.The UNHCR reportedly said, conditions in Myanmar’s Rakhine state is ‘not yet conducive’ for return of Rohingyas who fled their homeland following crackdown by the Myanmar military.The Guardian mentioned that Bangladesh and Myanmar government officials announced this week they had struck a “very concrete” repatriation deal for the return of the 720,000 Rohingya refugees.Myanmar officials, according to the report, said on Wednesday they had verified 5,000 Rohingya refugees so far, with the “first batch” of 2,000 to be repatriated in the next month.Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesman for the UN secretary general, António Guterres, was quoted to have said that the deal had taken the UN high commissioner for refugees (UNHCR) by surprise.“To be clear … UNHCR, which is in lead on the issues of refugees, was not consulted on this matter,” Dujarric said at the daily press briefing given by the secretary general’s office.Chris Melzer, the UNHCR’s senior external officer based in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, reiterated this, saying: “UNHCR was not a party to that agreement, wrote the British newspaper.“We would advise against imposing any timetable or target figures for repatriation in respect of the voluntary nature and sustainability of return,” added Melzer.“It is unclear if refugees know their names are on this list that has been cleared by Myanmar. They need to be informed. They also need to be consulted if they are willing to return … It is critical that returns are not rushed or premature.”Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya have been living in cramped refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar for more than a year after fleeing rape, murder and arson in Rakhine state at the hands of the Myanmar military, the report pointed out.The Myanmar government signed an agreement with the UNHCR in June that they would work with the UN to create “safe and dignified” conditions for the return of the Rohingya to Rakhine, including guaranteeing security, freedom of movement and pathway to citizenship.The Guardian said none of these assurances have been made by the Myanmar government so far and the UNHCR has only been given restricted access to Rakhine state.“For UNHCR, the conditions in Rakhine state are not yet conducive for a return to Myanmar,” said Dujarric. “And, at the same time, we’re seeing Rohingya refugees continue to arrive from Rakhine state into [Bangladesh], which should give you an indication of the situation on the ground.”Bangladesh has handed Myanmar a list of 24,342 refugees whom they have cleared for repatriation, but details of the logistics and precise date of the repatriation are unclear, the report said.It added that the issue of consent and possible forced repatriation has also been raised, with Rohingya in Cox’s Bazar saying they were fearful of going back and had never been asked whether they wanted to return.Myanmar officials, including Myint Thu, the permanent secretary at Myanmar’s ministry of foreign affairs, visited the camps in Cox’s Bazar on Wednesday and were greeted by hundreds of Rohingya protestors who held placards demanding citizenship and security, according to media report.“We are here to meet with the people from the camps so that I can explain what we have prepared for their return and then I can listen to their voices,” Myint Thu was quoted to have said.Safiullah, who was among the refugees who met the Myanmar members, had asked whether the Rohingya would be able to return to their own villages and get back their confiscated land and other properties but “the Burmese officials did not give me an answer”.“I will not return to Myanmar even if the authorities enlist me for repatriation. I am sure this is the view of almost all Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh,” he was quoted to have said.Suktara Begum, a Rohingya refugee woman who spoke to Myint Thu on his visit to the camps, said: “They came to meet us today simply because of pressure from the international community. They have not taken one step to meet our demands in so many months. They are not serious about our return to our homes. We do not trust them.”last_img read more

Harry Potter Wizards Unite to Launch This Week

first_imgNiantic first previewed the game to a small group of journalists in San Francisco in March, and began testing it in Australia and New Zealand last month. The tweet said that fans should keep their “eyes peeled and wand ready for more information” as the game goes live in their region, suggesting that Niantic may be planning a staggered roll-out across the world.“Harry Potter: Wizards Unite” has been developed by Warner Bros. games in partnership with Niantic, and uses Niantic’s real-world platform to combine location-based gaming with augmented reality (AR). The game tasks players to find magical places around them, collect special artifacts and fight death eaters and other creatures from the Harry Potter universe.The game uses many of the same mechanics as “Pokemon Go,” but also embraces some of the latest in mobile AR. For encounters with magical creatures, the game opens in AR mode, and allows players to cast spells by tracing swipes on their screen. “Pokemon Go” maker Niantic is getting ready to launch its next big game: “Harry Potter: Wizards Unite” is set to launch in June 21, the company revealed in a tweet this week. Popular on Variety ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15last_img read more